Laurie's Reviews > Victorian Tales Of Terror

Victorian Tales Of Terror by Hugh Lamb

Nov 11, 12

bookshelves: horror, bits-n-pieces, gothic, ghostly
Read from October 01, 2010 to November 10, 2012

10/12:
The final five:

~The Red Warder of the Reef by J.A. Barry- So-so
~The Mask by Richard Marsh- Interesting actually, but the repetitive dialogue was ludicrous
~The Shadow in the Moonlight by Mrs. Molesworth- The longest story by far, this one is another standout. Good writing, excellent story, though a little drawn-out, definitely goosebump inducing.
~Wolverden Tower by Grant Allen- A different kind of gothic take than others in this collection. I expected a different, more original ending though.
~The Cave of Blood by Dick Donovan- Such a standout! Excellent writing and a bit twisty-turny. I definitely want to read more from this author.

11/11:
Another 5 this year:

~Xelucha by M.P.Shiel- Ravings of a madman, much?
~The Mother of Monsters by Guy de Maupassant- Pretty darn disturbing for several reasons
~The Dead Man of Varley Grange by Anonymous- Barely frightful
~The Last of Squire Ennismore by Mrs. J.H. Riddell- Kind of fun
~Madam Crowl's Ghost by J. Sheridan le Fanu- In this day and age, this would probably not be very scary to most people, but as I was reading it outside in the crisp October darkness, with the leaves swirling and making noises, I was chilled to the bone. Excellent ghost story.

11/10: I'm much too jaded for these to be terrifying, but most were interesting enough.
So far I've only read 5 of these:

~The Black Veil by Charles Dickens- Excellent writing (duh)
~The Mystery at Fernwood- Elizabeth Braddon- A standout
~The Black Lady of Brin Tor- Guy Boothby
~The Murderer's Violin- Erckmann-Chatrian
~My Favourite Murder- Ambrose Bierce- Quite sensational to say the least

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Victorian Tales Of Terror.