Arlene's Reviews > Intrinsical

Intrinsical by Lani Woodland

Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: ghosts, read-2011, ya-paranormal, young-adult
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Booker Tour - Alexa
Recommended for: Fans of ghost stories
Read from June 19 to 20, 2011

Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars (closer to 5)

Book quote: I had the feeling that the past I was trying to put behind me wasn’t going to go quietly.

Books such as Instrinsical reinforce my love for paranormal stories because they strike a delicate balance between creeping me out and creating a suspended reality that I can easily come to believe. I definitely enjoyed this ghost story by Lani Woodland and the entire cast of characters she created were amazing! The writing was beautiful and the flow was flawless, especially the last two thirds of the book where I was so glued to the pages, I found myself reluctantly stumbling upon the final scenes.

About the book: Yara Silva has grown up believing that ghosts walk among us because her grandmother is an Acordera or Waker – someone who could communicate with ghosts. Yara has lived her entire life hoping that this ability would pass over her for fear of being called crazy, but all that changes when she and her best friend enroll in Pendrell Academy which has been known to have a paranormal history. Yara gets caught up in the fray when she saves Brent, a fellow classmate, from a ghost attack and suddenly becomes a target.

I enjoyed this book for many reasons, but the main one has to be Yara and Brent’s budding relationship. I loved how Woodland chose to slow the pace down for these two characters because in the end, their feelings for each other felt real and believable. I have to say that I predicted a couple of the twists, but the one that happened in the last third of the book, caught me so off guard that I gasped in pleasant disbelief! What a twist!

Also, I have to note the beautiful art cover! I loved how it ties in with one of the most important scenes in the book. That recurring scene was emotional for me because of my love for the ocean, lake, pool… anything related to water, and it reminds me of one of my biggest fears. ~shivers~

When I finished this book, I rated it 4 stars, but as I’ve had a couple of days to process the perfection of this story, I’ve bumped it to 4.5, so that’s what I’m going with. Overall, this book was everything I enjoy in a great ghost story, including a slow romance, emotionally ridden scenes, creepy backdrop and likeable characters. I will definitely be signing up for the rest of Yara Silva’s journey. Awesome read! Thank you Alexa for sharing your book with me. :D

Favorite Quote:
The subdued light and the flowered-perfumed air created a romantic setting as we walked the well-worn paths of Pendrell. Conversations unsaid and experiences shared followed us like shadows, but we didn’t speak. There was an undemanding easiness in our silence, but it also crackled with insistent possibilities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intrinsical.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alexa Very nice review, Arlene! Yara & Brent's relationship was also what I really liked about this book. They were great together. :) I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Yay! :D Cannot wait for the sequel!

Arlene Thanks Alexa. Also, thanks so much for sharing your book with me. I'm on the hunt to find it, but I'm so jealous you got a signed copy!! That is so awesome!

Yara and Brent's relationship was perfectly developed. It was slow, but believable!! I love.love.loved their last scene. I re-read it a couple of times. :P

I am definitely going to get the sequel and adding this to my collection!!

Cindy Great Review! loved the story too. good/different kind of paranormal romance. I like how the relationship is developing too, and cant wait for the second!:)

Arlene Thank you Cindy! Yes, this was very much a good/different sort of paranormal. I hadn't even heard of it until my trusted booker buddy told me about it and now I can't wait to read the next installment. :D

So glad you enjoyed it too. :)

Alexa I've been curious about this book for the longest time, and I think I entered every giveaway I could find for this book! lol Finally managed to win it. :) I didn't know it would be signed until I opened it.

That's what I loved about it. They became friends first, and it wasn't rushed. It was refreshing & believable. They were just so cute together! XD

Arlene That's so great! TBD doesn't have it and Amazon is charging $19.99 for it, which is a bit too pricey for me. BTW, did you notice the name of the publishing company is the same as the school in the book? I just caught that. LOL

I read the overview for the next book. Sounds really good!

Alexa Same. It was a bit too much for me, so I went for the giveaways instead. ^^ Yes, I noticed! lol I thought that was pretty neat. :D Also, in another review, I read that the author was the one who took the photo of the cover! Impressive. :)

Definitely looking forward to it! :D

Cindy I happend to stumbleupon it a while back, it sounded intriguing so I bought it, glad I did :) I think this is apart of a trilogy, so more happy reading for us all!

Arlene That cover is AMAZING! I love it! If she took the pic than she did an awesome job because it went perfectly with the main scene.

Well I hope you win the next book!! :)

Arlene Cindy wrote: "I happend to stumbleupon it a while back, it sounded intriguing so I bought it, glad I did :) I think this is apart of a trilogy, so more happy reading for us all!"

I want to buy it, but I think I have to hold off for now. Hopefully TBD will carry it soon and they seem to be more reasonable with their prices. I saw it's a trilogy. I'm definitely reading the other books as well. :)

Cindy I agree, it is pricey!:) That's pretty good if she took the picture for the cover. I love the cover for book 2 as well.

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Awesome review Arlene. Can't wait to read this now :)

Arlene Thanks Nic! Hope you enjoy it too!

Crystal Great review!! I am very excited to read this one!

Arlene Thanks Crystal! I mailed it out today. I hope you get it soon. :}

message 16: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ Great review Arlene! But now I'm wondering what your greatest fear is? Something to do with water? :)

Arlene You got it Rachel. I grew up by the coast and we also had a pool, but I've always had a huge fear of witnessing someone go under. When I'm at the pool and I see little ones running around, I can't seem to relax because it makes me nervous. I'm weird... I know. :/

message 18: by ♥Rachel♥ (new)

♥Rachel♥ That's not weird at all. It's very easy for a child to fall in & no one see it until it's too late.