Kathy Cowley's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

Oct 05, 14

bookshelves: fiction, fantasy, re-read, adult
Read in November, 2013

I decided to reread this book in preparation for the second book coming out. I was reminded that this book is a true example of epic fiction, with a thousand pages, four major viewpoint characters, and a dozen other viewpoint characters. Brandon Sanderson is truly a master storyteller, and the book was a page turner even on a second read. I love the magic system, the setting, the interweaving of the stories, and the way we get to know the characters so well.

Why I gave this book a 4, rather than a 5:
-In general, I actually prefer shorter, smaller stories focused around one or two main characters. My favorite Sanderson books are actually his shorter works. I'm a little skeptical about a ten-book series with each book running a thousand pages, and I'm honestly not interesting in discovering or tracking little details, figuring out connections to the Cosmere, etc.
-I really wished that Shallan's story had connected to the main conflict of the book in some way, with resolving the story's main problem. Of course, Sanderson didn't try to connect it...but I found myself a little disappointed. I am really excited that Shallan is going to be the main viewpoint character for the second book.
-The chapters spent living in a depressed character's head are, well, depressing. (Though I did think it was great to see depression dealt with in an epic fantasy novel.)

I originally listened to the audiobook in March 2011. That was a strange experience for me because I'm a very fast reader and I prefer to read a novel in just a few sittings; listening to it forced me to experience it bit by bit. Of course, when I reread it I did so in 3 or 4 sittings--apparently I'm incurable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose This is my 13YO's current favorite book. I don't even know how many times he's read it. Obviously, he is slavering for the sequel! I liked it--but I confess that I'm still hoping Sanderson will finish Alcatraz. I have a simplistic mind and prefer fewer viewpoint characters. :)

message 2: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose I'm always entertained by setting details in Sanderson's books, though--it's obvious he's lived in Idaho, what with the Shattered Plains (Craters of the Moon and similar areas can't be described as anything BUT!), the Sands of Rashid (sand dunes north of St. Anthony--we even brought some sand with us when we moved, which yes, we call the Sands of Rashid, very important, do not throw away!!)

message 3: by Trent (new) - added it

Trent Mikesell So does this book wrap up nicely or does it leave you hanging at the end?

Kathy Cowley Trent wrote: "So does this book wrap up nicely or does it leave you hanging at the end?"

There is a LOT of setup for future novels, but the main 2 or 3 plot lines all do have satisfactory endings. I'd say there's a climax scene for each main story. And I didn't finish being disappointed or wishing I didn't have to wait for the next book (even a few years ago, when I first read it).