Justine Philyaw's Reviews > A Prayer for the City

A Prayer for the City by H.G. Bissinger

Jun 27, 11

Read from June 22 to 26, 2011

In the interest of full disclosure, I must first say that I am a life-long resident of Philadelphia, and I love this city. I also need to say that when I was finally old enough to vote, Ed Rendell is one of the first candidates I helped to elect. And now, if Ed decided to try another public office, I'd vote for him every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Those opinions were only reinforced by Bissinger. I knew that David Cohen was basically the brains behind the Rendell machine, and I found the representation of their relationship in this book very insightful. Also, Bissinger did his homework. His statistics are compelling and thorough. I was pleasantly surprised by the perspective that both Rendell and Bissinger took of John Street. If you are a native or a transplant, if there is a reason you live in the City of Brotherly Love, check this book out. If you want to get a candid glimpse into the machinations of modern politicians, check this book out.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Prayer for the City.