G's Reviews > Hourglass

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Jun 22, 2011

liked it
Read from June 22 to 27, 2011

Not very spoilery, but to be sure:

(view spoiler)

I did enjoy Hourglass quite a lot. It's very entertaining, if anything, though the characters seem a bit repetitive. I get that it's hard to do a lot different when it comes to YA, but I saw so many similarities with The Summoning and the Darkest Powers series. It's not exactly something of the plot itself, as the premise is indeed very different, but the characters and the character development. You have Emerson, and you have Chloe, both girls with a tragic past, little family to look after, and the I-am-plain-ordinary-but-just-watch-me-kick-your-ass ways. You have Michael, and you have Simon, both... well, cute, amazing and attractive. You have Kaleb, and you have Derek, both challenging in different ways, but having the same type of vibe going on with the heroine. You even have bitchy Ava, who's not as complex or as cool as Tori, but equally bitchy and possessive (like, really possessive for no good reason) around certain boys. So I'd say the character development is lacking greatly (and The Darkest Powers will always be one of my favorite series ever), but I liked the Hourglass characters just fine. Perhaps because they reminded me so much of the TDP ones.

There are a couple of plot holes, but the story is told in a such pace that you just don't mind it that much. It's very well-told, even though it's told in the first person.

All in all, it's a good book and I liked it a lot. But if you expect too much of it, you'll be deeply frustrated. The romance between the heroine and the hero isn't even that convincing, and perhaps too much time is spent on the romance, but I had that coming.

Like I said, it's worth a read. It's a very entertaining book, the type that makes it hard to put down. Just don't expect a masterpiece. It's not excellent, but it's not bad either; far from bad, even. Pretty good, pretty good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hourglass.

06/22/2011 page 163