Shannon's Reviews > Mistress of the Art of Death

Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of the Art of Death.

message 1: by Dan's (new) - added it

Dan's Obsessions Oouh so U ';ve rad this on eas well!!

I am slightly impressed..

Shannon Dan's wrote: "Oouh so U ';ve rad this on eas well!!

I am slightly impressed.."

Yup. I liked it a lot ... for the most part. ;)

I have the second book but haven't read it yet. It's on my list. Did you know the author died recently ... like in the last year. Kind of sad.

message 3: by Dan's (new) - added it

Dan's Obsessions Nope I got no idea..
yesterday I picked up a book by Conrad ( a self- made memour) it's a very carefully translated book & Igot it for a real sale/ Anway I am stalling, what I neede to tell U is that we made sort of a "contact" with the bookceeper who was astonished that I picked one of his books,
-he had this notion in his head that he wasn't that.. ahem ..known or well read here ( by youngsters like me perhaps) I told him that he was put in test by that acot that recently died.. I couldn't remeber his name. but instantly when I shaked my head a bit from the haze of the intence heat I recalled the face of Peter o'tool who was trying to master the vessel's wheel before he plundered into the sea on "lord Jim". He was twice surprised ( he was a good 14-18 yrs older than me --but he made me for a 24-26 yr old ..sheesh..) 'cause he didnt know that book or the movie, vut he was in awe of the actor.

Anyway he told me that he was a first choise for a possible translation of another work of his, but that one was left to rot ( U know how it is with the prominent "editions -luxuries" in here lately) everytihn is cut down to the absolute necessecities..

But I rambling as always.. yappinf in frenzy about my own stuff.. Could U provde me with a sort critique about the book ( I got it already on my wishlist but I would raelly welcome yr own feedback if possible.. I am going book hunting again tmr!!!

Shannon Dan's wrote: "Could U provde me with a sort critique about the book ( I got it already on my wishlist but I would raelly welcome yr own feedback if possible.. I am going book hunting again tmr!!! "

Book hunting .... The best kind. I went to the bookstore today and puttered around but couldn't really find anything particularly exciting.

I'm reading, among other things, Gone Girl right now. If you like mysteries, you might want to keep your eye open for it. Of course, it's brand new, hardcover, and I don't know if you could get it there or not.

Regarding this book, Mistress of the Art of Death, ....

Hmmm.... It's been over a year since I read it. I'm trying to remember everything.

I think she writes (wrote since she died) well ... crafts a good story, strong characters, and her words flow quite nicely. All good things. I love history, so I was taken by the fact that it's historical ... and a mystery. However, I did find myself wondering if a woman, at that time, could truly do the things she did ... could anyone ... would anyone? She was examining dead bodies, etc.... I've never read or heard that people at the time did that, to say nothing of women handling dead bodies to try to find evidence. I've not attempted to research it though ... so I don't know. That was just something that niggled at the back of my brain. Was it truly believable?

One thing that was a bit hard ... the crimes were committed against children and were heinous, with certain descriptions. So, it ... leaves someone, me at least, feeling a bit uncomfortable. It's a good book and well-written ... but how can you "enjoy" a book that is about children being abused and murdered ... if you know what I mean.

Again, though, I liked her writing style and I learned a bit about how Jewish people were treated at the time. I mean, I already knew a lot, but I didn't know certain things ... like European towns refusing Jews the right to bury the dead, etc....

If you're ever in the mood for historical fiction, I love Sharon Kay Penman, specifically When Christ and His Saints Slept and her trilogy that starts with Here be Dragons.

Good luck on your book hunt!