Earl Grey Tea's Reviews > Outliers: The Story of Success

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: opinion, essay, sociology, non-fiction
Read in May, 2011

I usually don’t like to read books that are written to advance an idea or support a side of an argument. In a world cursed with a plethora of uncertainty, there seems to be too many experts on hand.

Given the reputation that Malcolm Gladwell has an intellectual, it was nice to see that his book was very accessible to read. I was able to proceed through his book at a respectable pace while still obtaining lots of new information.

In some parts of the book, especially the first section, my opinions about nurture versus nature and affirmative action were greatly altered due to the points that he presented though not completely changed. He made a wonderful argument that where you are and at what time can greatly alter the outcome of your life.

Other parts of the books I would say that my opinion is greatly shifted but instead that I have new insight to why certain things happen due to what he calls “cultural legacy”. Is this an end all answer? No, but it helps me understand why certain things may be prone to happen amongst certain cultures or groups of people based on their heritage, both good and bad. Hopefully this idea will help me look at situations in the future with a different angle.

I am glad that I gave Mr. Gladwell a chance and I look forward to reading more of his books in the future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outliers.