Lloyd's Reviews > The Wright 3

The Wright 3 by Blue Balliett

Jun 22, 2011

Read from August 10 to 16, 2011

Having an interest in almost all things Frank Lloyd Wright, and having visited this house twice in my lifetime, I was drawn to this book first because of it's connection and second, because I thought it might be a good book for my "tween." I haven't read Ms. Balliett's first book so these characters were new to me. Her style of jumping into the tale without a lot of backstory was appealing and the development and description of the characters was good enough that the illustrator had no problem depicting them throughout the book.

The mystery and suspense was well presented and, though I'm not a reader of mysteries, this one held my interest and was appropriately written for it's intended age range. The descriptions of the house and it's surroundings were realistic and Ms. Balliett had the honesty to "correct" the literary license she did take with the house and it's creator at the end of the story.

It was also nice, albeit less than subtle, to see multi-ethnic characters developed for the story. These weren't typical suburban "white" kids. They were urban mixed families with "hip" professions and had family backgrounds that were diverse, pointing out the realities of today.

All in all, I enjoyed the book and would easily let my child read it. It was true to it's cover and easily digestible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wright 3.

08/14/2011 page 219