Catherine Austen's Reviews > Mindfulness in Plain English

Mindfulness in Plain English by Henepola Gunaratana

Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2011

I was feeling overwhelmed and not really present in my life so I thought I'd try this book. I took a mindfulness workshop ages ago, and I've read several other books since, but I've never incorporated the practice into my life for more than a few weeks at a time. I always let it slide, return to old habits, then run back to mindfulness in desperation when I'm overwhelmed. This book might change that pattern for me. I borrowed it from the library a couple of months ago. It's a very good introduction to the practice (and the author didn't gloss over the fact that my search for a quick fix is fruitless). I can't actually remember much of what the book says - perhaps I didn't read it mindfully enough - but I remember really liking it. So I took it back to the library and ordered a copy from my local bookstore. It's sitting on my desk right now. I haven't cracked it open yet. It will require careful rereading. But if I start practicing today, I should be feeling better in ten years or so. Wish me luck.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mindfulness in Plain English.

message 1: by Sharada Prasad (new)

Sharada Prasad CS hope it is working well for you now. I started with the book today. I am liking it already

Catherine Austen Thank you! It is a wonderful book. I have been consulting it regularly, and taking yoga and meditation classes, so maybe I will stick with it this time. That first chapter ("you suddenly realize that you are spending your whole life just barely getting by...") is like having my mind read. I hope you continue to enjoy it, too.