MelissaB's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

1320046
Aug 09, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, kindle, 2011-reads, first-person-pov, tattooed-bad-boy-hotties
Read on June 22, 2011

Beautiful Disaster was a story that sucked me in from the beginning and kept me on a crazy roller coaster while the two leads figured out their passionate relationship. The heroine, Abby (or Pigeon as the hero calls her - yeah it's kind of weird but cute) is a freshman at college when she meets the hero, Travis "Mad Dog" Maddox. Travis is quite the bad boy, he fights in underground boxing fights to earn money for college (he is a sophomore at the same college) and he screws different girls all the time. Oh yeah, and he is hot, tattooed and rides a motorcycle. Travis sees Abby as a challenge because she doesn't throw herself at him, in fact she is kind of rude to him. They eventually decide to be friends but it's pretty clear that it's only a matter of time before they finally give into their crazy chemistry. Abby ends up living with him for a month after losing a bet and they get even closer. But they both have a lot of issues and keep pushing each other away. Eventually they do get together but they still have a lot of ups and downs before they finally get things figured out.

This book was really good. Travis was a complex, sexy, slightly scary man. He is quick to fight any man he thinks messes with Abby and he is quite simply obsessed with her. He wants all of her to the point where she gets freaked out. Abby also has issues due to her father and there was a point where I thought she walked away for no real reason and really hurt Travis (which she does apologize for later but she still put them both through stuff unnecessarily). The passion between them was scorching but they loved and fought with equal intensity. Their relationship was volatile but very hot.

If you are looking for something different and like bad boy heroes, this would be a good choice. The story is very good, even if it is a bit of a roller coaster ride as these two fight and make up until they finally figure out they want to be together (well he knew right away but she needed to admit it). I don't mind obsessive heroes so Travis's single minded intensity toward her wasn't a problem but he may freak some people out (he even gets her name tattooed on him after like a month of being together). He also is still screwing a bunch of one night stands while they were first friends as they tried to ignore their attraction, but they weren't together yet. I usually don't like it when a couple is this volatile but their chemistry was so hot I was able to handle it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.

06/22/2011 page 20
6.27% "Super weird cover but good story so far. Set in college with a bad boy hero."
06/22/2011 page 100
31.35% "This is really good"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Everyone is adding this book and the cover was turning my stomach until I enlarged the image and realized it was not half-chewed granola on the girl's tongue :)

MelissaB It's still an f-n weird cover! I saw people talking about it on Amazon.

message 3: by Mary B. (new)

Mary B. I thought the same thing! I'm assuming that's the point, but when you only see a thumbnail, you really can't tell anything.

message 4: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Well, the cover has people talking, that's for sure!

MelissaB The book is actually pretty good so far, it's set in college which gives me fond memories of my college years. Hero is bad boy which I like.

message 6: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Sounds interesting. What's with the pigeon though. I keep hearing it in a French accent, channelling Pepe le Pew?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) This sounds like it's worth checking out. Thanks for the review, Melissa.

MelissaB It's in first person from the heroine's POV, just a warning,

To Travis, Pigeon meant a pretty girl or a good luck charm. *shrugs*

Crista Thanks for the great review! I just finished this one and LOVED it! I loved the intensity that Travis felt for Abby. Great stuff!

MelissaB It's hard to describe Crista but this book was intense and good! The leads were a bit nuts (especially Trav) but I still liked him.

librarygirl Great review - I'm reading it now and am totally sucked in!

MelissaB Hope you like it librarygirl! They are a somewhat dysfunctional couple but I still liked the story :)

message 13: by Ana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ana Is it me, or you actually changed the rating of the book?

MelissaB I didn't mean to change it to one star, who knows with Goodreads. Thanks for letting me know!

message 15: by Ana (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ana No problem. I was just surprised since your review is one of the reasons I decided to read the book in the first place. :-)

message 16: by Zumbagirl (new) - added it

Zumbagirl Thank you for your review! I guess you'd recommend this pretty highly? I don't read too much contemporary or YA, but this looks really interesting

MelissaB Zumbagirl wrote: "Thank you for your review! I guess you'd recommend this pretty highly? I don't read too much contemporary or YA, but this looks really interesting"

It is a different style of book, which was partly why I liked it. If it sounds good from my review, give it a try. There was more angst than I normally like but it didn't ruin the story for me.

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Fantastic review, Melissa. I loved this book, too!

MelissaB Kristen wrote: "Fantastic review, Melissa. I loved this book, too!"

Thanks Kristen!

Sleepy I loved your review as well, this book was amazing and Travis bad boy tattooed self was irresistible!! I loved there crazy complicated, roller coaster ride relationship, even tho Travis was a but crazy obsessive, but in a way it was cute!!

MelissaB Sleepy wrote: "I loved your review as well, this book was amazing and Travis bad boy tattooed self was irresistible!! I loved there crazy complicated, roller coaster ride relationship, even tho Travis was a but c..."

Thanks Sleepy! It definitely was a roller coaster ride!

Tiffluvsaaron I absolutely loved this book. I let my mom read it and she was shocked at how much she enjoyed it to...cant wait for his side of the story

MelissaB Tiffluvsaaron wrote: "I absolutely loved this book. I let my mom read it and she was shocked at how much she enjoyed it to...cant wait for his side of the story"

His side should be interesting

message 24: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Sisouphonh Have you read "taking chances"? It's like a mix of Thoughtless and BD

MelissaB Kat wrote: "Have you read "taking chances"? It's like a mix of Thoughtless and BD"

Kat,

No, I haven't read Taking Chances or Thoughless but I will look into them. Thanks!

Sleepy Sorry kat but taking chances isn't like thoughtless or bd, its actually heartbreaking and it has loose ends, but that's just my opinion,I did not like taking chances!! But thoughtless and effortless I am re reading because they were so good!! I highly recommend thoughtless and effortless!! You will fall in love with kellan!! And I just read beautiful disaster yesterday and I loved that one as well!!!

message 27: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat Sisouphonh Sleepy: reading the first 30 percent or so it seemed like BD and thoughtless.. finally finishing it I see what you're talking about but still see the similarities for the first portion of the book.. I almost thought it was copycat of BD. Not as good as BD!!

Sleepy I can see the slight similarities, your right, but beautiful disaster with Travis yum and thoughtless with kellan yummy are way better!! Even tho chase seemed very sexy too bad they did what they did!!