Charmayne's Reviews > In a Sunburned Country

In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson

F 50x66
Jun 22, 2011

Read in June, 2011

The problem with reading a travelogue while already living in an exotic country, is that it makes you a bit of an adventure junkie - always looking for the next "big fix" and thinking you've stumbled upon it as you turn each page. This was the case with Bill Bryson's _In a Sunburned Country_, though I'll happily admit that I don't see a problem with this addiction.
Bryson is on a mission to explore Australia, and he certainly does this by taking in multiple tourist sites during packed days with carefully planned itineraries. However, what is also great is that he approaches his travel casually, allowing himself to indulge in other locations on a whim. This makes the reader a very content traveling companion, happy to visit popular destinations as well as to veer off with him to remote tiny towns with hole-in-the-wall drinking establishments. With his humorous style of writing, he pokes fun at the people, the politics, the geography, and the culture - while still retaining an evident love and passion for the country.
Australia has always been on my list of places to visit and this further cemented my desire. The only downside is that, as it is not strictly a travel guide, there is no index at the back of the book for the reader to reference later.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Sunburned Country.