Kris Irvin's Reviews > The Morning Gift

1940795
Jun 22, 11

bookshelves: 2011
Read from June 18 to 22, 2011

Wow, I really never thought I would read an Ibbotson book that I didn't like.

I mean, truly. There's some pretty glaring editing errors (at least in the edition I have), and some things that just plain don't make sense. And then there's the fact that the story is kind of... odd. I mean, it sounds really sweet and like it's going to be a good story, so maybe that's why I didn't like this book. It was a huge letdown. If I had to choose, I'd say I am most disappointed about the random, out of left-field sex scene. But actually there are so many disappointments in this book to choose from. Ugh.

The characters are all pretty one-dimensional. I spent most of the book being annoyed at ...well, pretty much everyone. Especially Ruth. I usually adore Ibbotson's heroines and want to BE them but Ruth? I think she's an idiot.

The last 50 pages were a killer to get through. I knew stuff happened, and I wanted to see the ending play out, but ugh. I was so over this book. After Ruth's great misunderstanding, which seemed to be a HUGE leap into randomness, I just wanted to toss this book out the window.

Save your time and your brains. Do not read this travesty of a novel. Ibbotson dropped the ball with this one. Yikes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Morning Gift.

dateDown_arrow    newest »