J's Reviews > Running from the Law

U 50x66
Jun 21, 2011

liked it
Read in June, 2011

BEWARE. I DON'T FLAG SPOILERS. BUT I DON'T PUT MY REVIEWS OUT ON ANY FEED, EITHER.

Disclaimer - my "reviews" are not truly that. Rather than a critical analysis, each "review" is mostly my quick summary of the plot -- so I can refresh my unreliable memory. Also, I find that once I journal a book, it's easier for me to give it away. That's important, as our house is getting "overgrown" with books.

---

Rita Morroni (spell?) is the heroine.

Scottoline has created a vivid woman lawyer in Rita. She's smart,intuitive, blunt. She plays poker and knows how to bluff, in the courtroom, and in life, too. Rita's a loving daughter to her working-class father, a butcher who raised Rita on his own.

Rita has to defend her boyfriend's dad -- a fed judge, no less -- for sexual harrassment of his young, atractive female secretary. Then the judge becomes a murder suspect, after the secretary turns up murdered. By investigating, Rita learns the young secretary was bedding not just the married judge, but also Rita's boyfriend, as well as a series of other possibly dangerous men.

To gather clues and piece together a defense theory, Rita resorts to a variety of identities and costumes, and recruits her dad's senior-citizen poker friends as well. (They visit expensive car dealerships pretending to be customers, and pose as a lawn service to gather evidence ;eft outdors.

Turns out neither the judge nor the son (both unfaithful to their partners)is the murderer -- in a thrilling final moment of danger, which Rita sets up as a final bluff, the murderer reveals himself to be the sleazy, publicity-hound attorney who was representing the secretary in her sexual harrassment suit. We learn in the end that the attorney was provoked to violence when the secretary told him she wanted to back out of the high-profile lawsuit against the judge.

Very touching relationship btw. the butcher dad and the young black teen fr. the neighborhood who works for the dad, and ultimately dies trying to protect the dad fr. a supposed robbery (which Rita figures out i]was relaly an attempt to scare Rita by targeting her dad.)

Also, interesting dynamic btw. Rita and her lovers - first the judge's son, whom she dumps after learning of his fling; and second, an aggressive lawyer in her firm (whom she ends up w.)

Aside fr. developing memorable heroines, Scottoline has a way w. words. Lots of great metaphors, phrasings.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Running from the Law.