Shawn's Reviews > Sweetly

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

Feb 04, 2012

bookshelves: own, love-the-cover, favorite-authors, series, 2012-reads
Read from February 01 to 04, 2012

Jackson Pearce has a way of writing that is beyond all else incredibly compelling. The characters are not over the top or easily forgotten. They're the kind of heroins that stay with you. I've read many YA books and a lot of the characters mesh together after reading them. But something about Pearce's leads; Gretchen, Scarlet, Rosey...it's like they have souls of their own.

This story, as expected, compliments it's companion novel Sister's Red effortlessly. And the characters are without a doubt of the same world. Like Kristen Cashore and her novels Graceling and Fire you know that these two books take place in the same world and I like that. Though she's telling two different stories she allows for the reader to imagine that they could take place at the same time. It makes me curious to see how her upcoming novel will be tied in. to that effect it makes me wonder if she ended Sweetly where she did as a way of introducing the next book in the series. Knowing Pearce and her sneaky ways...I wouldn't doubt it. And for that, I am highly impressed! It makes me want to look over how Sister's Red ended again to see if it tied into this novel at all.

I liked Sister's Red but I loved Sweetly. As many other reviewers have written, the story is sweet in almost every way. The romance, the characters. The bond between brother and sister.

I haven't brushed up on my fairy tales recently enough but this book is definitely different than what I remember the story of Hansel and Gretel being but this is just a warning to readers who may expect a complete parallel. I suggest that you simply go into this read expecting nothing less than to experience another great story told by Pearce in the awesome world of fantasy that she's created for us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetly.

02/01/2012 page 56
18.0% "I feel like this book is going to give me nightmares! Haha."
02/02/2012 page 106
34.0% "There something really compelling about Pearce's writing style. <3"
02/04/2012 page 216
69.0% "So many questions!!!! <3 Samuel <3"

message 1: by Cassie (new)

Cassie I still have to read these, they are on my to read list :)

Shawn Cassie wrote: "I still have to read these, they are on my to read list :)"

I really enjoy Jackson Pearce's writing style. You should definitely check them out! I always compare her to Kristine Cashore, just not as faministy. haha.

message 3: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Lol I have heard some mixed reviews so that is what pushes them to the bottom of the list but I def will check it out!