Jeanine's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jun 21, 2011

bookshelves: books-i-can-t-live-without, rereads, best-heroines
Read on September 20, 2011

Wow!!! I don't even know where to begin. Divergent is one of the BEST books that I have ever read. It is neck-and-neck with the Hunger Games. I am not saying that one is better than the other because though they are both dystopian novels, that is the only similarity between the two. Oh, and that both novels have kick-ass heroines.

Beatrice/Tris, is one of the strongest heroines out there in the land of fiction. Nothing about her actions made me cringe or made me want to shout at the book, "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?" as if she could hear me. You guys all know what I am talking about, when the main character makes the stupidest decision EVER and you are shaking your head, wondering whether a normal human being would ever choose that path.. NOPE! Not Tris! If anything, Veronica Roth makes you hero-worship Tris... She is that awesome!

I am not going to summarize Divergent, because you can just read the synopsis. However, I will tell you that if you love dystopian novels such as The Hunger Games or Delirium, you HAVE to read Divergent! It is so wonderful and filled with action and adventure that I am pretty sure I will be rereading it before the second book, Insurgent, comes out.

Plus, it has the sweetest romance in it. I won't ruin the story and tell you who she ends up falling FOUR ;) But I am surely in love with him, as far as my love for fictional characters go.

Update!!!

I just read Divergent for the second time and loved it just as much, if not more, as I did the first time around. Veronica Roth is truly one of the best authors out there. I am forcing myself to not rush out and buy Insurgent right now since I am supposed to be focusing on my finals this week. But as soon as I'm finished with them, off to the land of Factions, murderous leaders, and awesome Divergent Rebels I go. ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Jeanine Liked

Veronica Roth
“You think my first instinct is to protect you. Because you're small, or a girl, or a Stiff. But you're wrong."

He leans his face close to mine and wraps his fingers around my chin. His hand smells like metal. When was the last time he held a gun, or a knife? My skin tingles at the point of contact, like he's transmitting electricity through his skin.

"My first instinct is to push you until you break, just to see how hard I have to press." he says, his fingers squeezing at the word break. My body tenses at the edge in his voice, so I am coiled as tight as a spring, and I forget to breathe.

His dark eyes lifting to mine, he adds, "But I resist it."

"Why..." I swallow hard. "Why is that your first instinct?"

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." He releases me but doesn't pull away, his hand grazing my jaw, my neck. "Sometimes I just want to see it again. Want to see you awake.”

Veronica Roth
“If Eric thinks I did something right, I must have done it wrong.”

Veronica Roth
“Then I realize what it is. It's him. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames.”

Veronica Roth
“We could visit him," suggests Will. "But what would we say? 'I didn't know you that well, but I'm sorry you got stabbed in the eye'?”

Veronica Roth
“For a few minutes we kiss, deep in the chasm, with the roar of water all around us. And we rise, hand in hand, I realize that if we had both chosen differently, we might have ended up doing the same thing, in a safer place, in gray clothes instead of black ones.”

Veronica Roth
“Somewhere inside me is a merciful, forgiving person. Somewhere there is a girl who tries to understand what people are going through, who accepts that people do evil things and that desperation leads them to darker places than they ever imagined. I swear she exists, and she hurts for the repentant boy I see in front of me.

But if I saw her, I wouldn't recognize her.”

Veronica Roth
“We kiss again and this time, it feels familiar. I know exactly how we fit together, his arm around my waist, my hands on his chest, the pressure of his lips on mine. We have each other memorized.”

Veronica Roth
“People tend to overestimate my character," I say quietly. "They think that because I'm small, or a girl, or a Stiff, I can't possibly be cruel. But they're wrong.”

Veronica Roth
“Shh,” I say. “Arms around me.” Obediently, he slips both arms around my waist. I smile at the wall. I am not enjoying this. I am not, not even a little bit, no.”

Veronica Roth
“I feel his heartbeat against my cheek,as fast as my own.
"Are you afraid of me, too, Tobias?"
"Terrified," he replies with a smile.”

Veronica Roth
“I have something I need to tell you," he says. I run my fingers along the tendons in his hands and look back at him. "I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though."
"That's sensible of you," I say, smiling too. "We should find some paper so you can make a list or a chart or something."
I feel his laughter against my side, his nose sliding along my jaw, his lips pressing my ear.
"Maybe I'm already sure," he says, "and I just don't want to frighten you."
I laugh a little. "Then you should know better."
"Fine," he says. "Then I love you.”

Veronica Roth
“Politeness is deception in pretty packaging.”
Veronica Roth, Divergent

05/01/2012 "Loving this book just as much as I did the first time around! Cheers to authors who can still leave you hanging on the edge of your seat even when you already know what's going to happen."
05/29/2016 marked as: read

Katy Can't wait to see what you have to say about this one! I was overall impressed with it and I am looking forward to reading the next in the series, not sure where she is going to go with it though.

Jeanine My friend is currently reading this book and she said it is pretty awesome. I love dystopian novels.

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) I am SOOOOOO happy you loved it Jeanine!!! It was all kinds of awesome, wasn't it?!!

Great review, btw!