Barbara's Reviews > The Vampire Stalker

The Vampire Stalker by Allison van Diepen

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: ncbla
Read in June, 2011

This title was such great fun albeit so unbelievable in parts! Amy Hawthorne is in love with Alexander Banks, a character from a widely popular vampire series--and how many of us can relate to that whole premise of falling in love with a book or a character in a book so much that we feel bereft when the book ends?--and spends her free time writing fan fiction about Otherworld Chicago where the vampire series takes place. Late one night, though, on her way home from a school dance, she happens to meet Alexander in the flesh. Somehow, he has crossed a portal from the Chicago of the 1920s where his story takes place into modern day Chicago where Amy lives. The inevitable attraction between Amy and vampire stalker flares up, but is threatened to never make it past the initial first kisses since Amy insists on hunting Vigo, the same vampire Alexander has hunted throughout his life.

The author pokes gentle fun at fans of series, vampire lovers, popular culture, and even the wishfulness/wistfulness many teens feel for Jane Austen's Mr. Darcy. Clueless parents and the club scene also come in for their share of pokes. I loved the premise of this one because of my own predilection for getting lost in the books I read and the worlds their authors create. But the follow through doesn't live up to the book's initial promise. Amy changes so much to be believed, and the time travel is explained too easily. As I read, I kept wondering why Alexander left all his money behind, leaving him dependent on Amy for basic needs. Then again, readers had no problem buying into a magical wizard school or a vampire colony in rural Washington.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vampire Stalker.