Melanie's Reviews > The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper

The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper by Kathleen Y'Barbo

Jun 29, 11

Read from June 21 to 26, 2011

I'm going to be reading 'The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck' soon, so I decided to read 'The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper' by Kathleen Y'Barbo first and then I plan to read 'Anna Finch and the Hired Gun' by Kathleen Y'Barbo.

This is the first book that I've read by Kathleen Y'Barbo, but it reminded me of 'A Lady Like Sarah' by Margaret Brownley which I've recently read. Both books have a historical/western theme.

'The Confidential Life of Eugenia "Gennie" Cooper' is a historical romance book set around 1880. Gennie enjoys reading Mae Winslow, 'Woman of the West' dime novels, but she has to read them under her bed covers for fear that her parents will find out.

'Someday, if Gennie ever had the nerve, she'd just head west down Fifth Avenue and keep walking until she reached South Dakota or Wyoming. Colorado maybe, where she could pan for gold or dig for silver. Maybe save some hapless child or even a whole town from whatever evil preyed upon it. Gennie smiled. Wouldn't that be an adventure?' - Page 3

Finally that day has come.

When Gennie's new chambermaid, Fiona McTaggart, tells Gennie about how Fiona's sister has to leave the man she loves before they can wed - to be the governess of Miss Charlotte Beck - Gennie gets an idea.

Since Gennie will be leaving New York for a month to go visit relatives in Boston, while Gennie's family is on a ship for their silver anniversary; why can't Gennie instead of going to Boston go to Denver, Colorado to be the Charlotte Beck's Governess and get the adventure she's dreamed of. Then once Fiona's sister is married and arrives in Denver, go back home to New York with her need for adventure filled.

The beginning of every chapter begins with a portion of a Mae Winslow 'Woman of the West' story. I found this interesting, because it was like reading two books in one. Mae Winslow story as well as Gennie's story.

Upon arriving in Denver, Gennie realizes that Charlotte Beck is not the sweet child she thought she would be. Instead she's a trouble-maker and thief. Gennie soon realizes this "job" won't be as easy as she first thought.

I found the entire story very charming, humorous, and captivating. Gennie and Daniel Beck's relationship had such depth and layers that I didn't want to stop reading 'The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper'.

I loved how the story unfolded and had many twists that I didn't expect. I am very much looking forward to reading 'Anna Finch and the Hired Gun'. I highly recommend 'The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Confidential Life of Eugenia Cooper.

06/22/2011 page 21