Liz L's Reviews > The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: favourites, autographed
Read from July 31 to August 01, 2011, read count: 1

I love Greek mythology and I love books about them, whether it's non-fiction or fiction. The Goddess Test definitely falls into my favourites. Its pages turned itself because of the suspense and the brilliant plot; there was no way it could wait for its reader to catch up.

I feel that the story moved really smoothly and the characters stayed true to themselves. The plot was thought out and executed in style. I don't think the romance was cheesy, bad, or not tasteful at all. There was no romance at first but when it bloomed between Henry and Kate, it seemed real. Not the romance made of fluffy bunnies and flowers and summers on the beach. It was forced at first, because Henry was having conflicting emotions.

How does an ancient god give up his emotions for his long dead lover, Persephone, who didn't want him in return? And then transfer them to a girl he's only known for six months? But, Kate manages to give him hope and to care for him which eventually blooms into real love.

Throughout all the romance and friendships, Kate is tested by the council. These tests measure if she's able to become the Queen of the Underworld with Henry and become immortal. If she fails, she loses her mom and forgets everything that happened between her and Henry. If she wins, she can choose to live normally, live with Henry, as well as hold onto her mom.

Plot aside, I think Aimee Carter did a nice job of pairing up the characters with their god and goddess counterparts as well as making them each represent their true nature. (Except for Ella, perhaps.) I loved a lot about this book, and I believe it's now one of my favourites. Can't wait for the second book!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Goddess Test.