Jess's Reviews > Enticed

Enticed by Jessica Shirvington

Jun 26, 11

bookshelves: aussie-and-nz, angels, library, romance, young-adult, paranormal, mythology, read-in-2011, 4-stars
Read from June 22 to 27, 2011

** spoiler alert ** There were some problems, especially concerning jealousy in two separate, ridiculous instances.
The first being Lincoln is jealous because of Violet's relationship with Phoenix. I got the vibe that for most of the book he felt she was spoiled goods or something. So a girl has a relationship before you. Big deal. Man up.
The second instance concerns Magda, and basically, for the first 200 pages, Violet goes on and on about how Magda is a bitch and a villain, simply because Violet is worried that there's something going on between Magda and Lincoln. So what if there was something between Linc and Magda? The guy is free to be with anyone he wants.
And yeah, between those two instances, there's so much hypocrisy.

The romance was shoddy. Violet couldn't stop going on about how she and Lincoln were soulmates. I'm just put off by the idea of soulmates. Especially in YA, when the main character over-dramatizes it. You know what I mean: I can't live without him. He's my one and only. We were made for each other. How dare other girls be interested in him, he's mine, even though he hasn't admitted it.

The writing was meh. The middle was boring and clunky, but the start and the end were really fast paced. I managed to finish the last 150 pages in about 2 hours. It is now 4am, if you would like clarification of the intensity of the story.
But yeah, the writing could have been better. It was very personal--being written in first person from Violet's point of view--but a lot of the comments she makes, about someone being a bitch, or someone else being annoying or her unconditional love for Lincoln, it got annoying.

The only good thing about this book, for which the 4 stars are for, is the story. Shirvington seems to have a talent for creating interesting lore. I was a bit irked out when religion started to play a major factor in this book, but Shirvington makes it work. The ending got me hooked, even the not-so-surprising twist at the end. The one issue with the story I had was that ultimately, Magda was the super evil villain here. But the way it was crafted allowed me to forgive it. Just a bit.

I really can't wait for the third book in this series, Emblaze, which I believe is coming out in Australia in October of this year.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enticed.

06/25/2011 page 102
25.0% "It's embarrassing how jealous Violet is acting about a guy who she isn't with and technically can't be with. Plus, the girl who's hanging around her guy is now the enemy in this little sub-plot. Awesome. Great story-telling right here. *rolls eyes*"
06/26/2011 page 227
55.0% "The story itself is interesting, but the characters keep going in circles. Right now, it feels like a really long read. -_-""