Tim Hicks's Reviews > WWW: Wonder

WWW by Robert J. Sawyer

Jun 21, 2011

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in June, 2011

Four stars for enjoyable, but don't forget that this is, as others have said, SF Lite. Despite all the modern stuff, there's a Heinlein-juvenile feeling throughout. Written for smart teens? If so, I think it's done well.

Don't read this except as the third of three.

Plenty of interesting ideas. As is often the case with Sawyer, there are perhaps too many characters who seem to be there so the author can make a point about what they represent. There's a lot of explaining, but a fair bit of it was necessary, and again, if you've read Sawyer before you'll expect it. Sawyer's a liberal, and if you're not down with that go read someone else, you won't like him.

The multiple plotlines gave the book some dimension, and we didn't have to stretch too far to believe in how they came together.

The epilogue (SPOILER ALERT) was disappointing. We are asked to believe that although humans are long gone, the power generators and routers are still humming away and the AIs are still using packet switching to communicate. I'd rather read some good old-fashioned handwaving such as that the AIs decided to collapse the solar system into neutronium to provide power for the clouds of pure intelligence that they have become.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read WWW.