Julie's Reviews > Jemima J: A Novel About Ugly Ducklings and Swans

Jemima J by Jane Green

Mar 16, 2008

did not like it
Recommended for: people who need kindling
Read in March, 2008

Ugh. This book doesn't empower "ugly ducklings," it panders to them. The fat-phobia is so thick in this book I can't believe I got through it. The main character's obvious eating disorder is glorified, encouraged, and applauded. If I were a lesser woman here is the message I would've gleaned from this shitfest: "The only way to be happy, advance your career, find a hot man, and make your skanky roommates jealous is: eat lettuce and work out fanatically. Also, lying on the internet is ok!"

Southern California is portrayed as if the person writing has never stepped off a plane at LAX before. Apparently Barnes & Noble and Borders bookstores in LA don't carry anything but film industry books. Two characters at two different points couldn't find so much as a good fiction selection because there were "How to Write a Screenplay" titles floor to ceiling. Stereotypes about LA are so 80s, and this book is not that old.

The "twist" was insulting, cheap, and annoying. This book doesn't deserve a place on my chick lit shelf. I would give it 0 stars if I could.
37 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jemima J.

06/15 marked as: read

Leslie I know! I got through the book and knew something was up the guy in CA & THAT was it? Really? Puh-lease.