ClassicMaiden's Reviews > Black Thorn, White Rose

Black Thorn, White Rose by Ellen Datlow

A wonderful anthology, no surprise there since it was edited by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow.

My favorite stories were:

- STRONGER THAN TIME by Patricia C. Wrede: beautiful prose with a story based on the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale.

- SOMNUS'S FAIR MAID by Ann Downer: was an interesting Regency set story, also based on the Sleeping Beauty legend.

- THE BROWN BEAR OF NORWAY by Isabel Cole: was simply so good. I don't want to give anything away, but I Loved it! beautifully written...

- TATTERCOATS by Midori Snyder: loved the idea, and how the married couple's relationship was rekindled...

- GODSON by Roger Zelazny: an interesting story with a really good idea (based on a German Fairy Tale). It deals with life and death... (I won't spoil more.)

- SHPUTTLE by Peter Straub: a wonderfully weird story about a wounded woman who also tells the story.

- the poem, SILVER AND GOLD by Ellen Steiber: based on the Red Riding Hood story...liked it a whole lot...

- SWEET BRUISING SKIN by Storm Constantine: a truly great story, I thought, inspired by The Princess and the Pea and other classic Fairy Tales. Definitely one of my faves in this anthology.

- THE BLACK SWAN by Susan Wade: also a beautifully done story - about an unhappy woman who wants to be accepted by her time periods' ideals...

This is the second in this Fairy Tales for adults series (they can be read out of order!), as I didn't get the first in the series until I had already started this...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Thorn, White Rose.

03/06/2012
7.0% "I always love the Ellen Datlow/Terri Windling introductions. Just read the first story in this anthology; 'words Like Pale Stones' by Nancy Kress - "(...) a thought-provoking fairy tale about the magic of words and the power of knowledge. Here the tale of 'Rumplestiltskin' is re-created in a rich story that works (...)". I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading the rest..."
03/08/2012
15.0% "I loved deeply the second story in this anthology, STRONGER THAN TIME by Patricia C. Wrede - beautiful prose, with a story based on the SLEEPING BEAUTY fairy tale, and it was a story that got me instantly hooked into the feel of the setting and the characters..."
03/18/2012
28.0% "I continue to enjoy! Somnus's Fair Maid by Ann Downer, was a wonderful Regency set story, based on the Sleeping beauty legend. I didn't respond so much to, The Frog King, or Iron Henry by Daniel Quinn, though I liked the overall idea. Near-Beauty by M. E. Beckett though, was a wonderfully interesting Sci-Fi tale that I really responded to - one of my fave thus far!"
03/20/2012
34.0% "I read the short stories: Ogre by Michael Kandel, Can't Catch Me by Michael Cadnum, and Journeybread Recipe by Lawrence Schimel. all solid, but not my fave..."
03/24/2012
38.0% "the short story: THE BROWN BEAR OF NORWAY by Isabel Cole, was simply so good. Loved it! beautifully written..."
03/26/2012
50.0% "I just read, THE GOOSE GIRL by Tim Wynne Jones which was a solid and interesting take on the goose girl story. And I read, TATTERCOATS by Midori Snyder which was amazing - loved the idea and how the married couple's relationship was rekindled..."
03/30/2012
61.0% "I read GRANNY RUMPLE by the great Jane Yolen - I really enjoyed it... The other story I read was THE SAWING BOYS by Howard Waldrop which I had to read twice, because I found it a bit difficult in its concept and slang...but I liked the music idea - all in all, an interesting read."
04/02/2012
80.0% "I read, GODSON by Roger Zelazny which was a really interesting story with a really good idea (based on a German Fairy Tale). It deals with life and death... Then I read, ASHPUTTLE by Peter Straub which was a wonderfully weird story, about a wounded woman (who tells the story). I also read the poem, SILVER AND GOLD by Ellen Steiber - based on the Red Riding Hood story...liked it a whole lot..."
04/03/2012
97.0% "I read the last two stories in this anthology; SWEET BRUISING SKIN by Storm Constantine which was a wonderful story, inspired by The Princess and the Pea and other classic Fairy Tales - definitely one of my faves in this anthology. And I read, THE BLACK SWAN by Susan Wade which was also a beautifully done story - about an unhappy woman who wants to be accepted by her time periods' ideals..."