Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > Candy

Candy by Luke Davies

Sep 24, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read from September 20 to 24, 2011

I honestly did not want this book to end!!

It was brilliant, haunting, utterly cruel and true love story. It wracks your brain, wrecks your heart, and leaves you wanting more. There were times when I couldn't put it down, times when I wanted it to end because I thought something really really bad was going to happen, and times when I fell so madly in love that I just didn't know how much more I could handle.

This has to be one of the most real books I have read. I kind of wonder if it is real or not. Is there any truth to this story?

Told in 1st person pov you never learn the name of the man telling the story. NEVER once!! I thought we would learn it on the last page but never once. So, was it the author? Or was it just a man inside his head? A character that I fell so deeply in love with that I wonder if he is now my own private addiction.

The man telling the story is a heroin addict. He meets a nice girl. An innocent girl who he falls in love with and wants to share everything with... even his habit.

From cover to cover you learn how they lived their lives in Australia, exploring each other, and scamming the masses to get more money for drugs. Candy seems to be the main bread winner by working in a brothel. The man in the story does most of the deals or scams or sells books that he stole for a bit of extra cash.

It's a beautiful story. I recommend it to everyone. I feel this will probably replace Party Monster for me. I can't tell you how many times I have read that story and there is no way I can predict how many times I will be reading this one.

Differences between the movie and the book

The man telling the story's name is DAN in the movie and in the book they never tell his name.

In the movie they are in a swimming pool many times. I don't remember once when they went swimming in the book.

In the movie CASPER has a big part. He doesn't have a very big part in the book. He's mentioned a bit but not as much in the movie.

The little girl in the movie at the wedding is (in the book) Candy's aunt's kid. I guess that would make her a cousin.

In the movie Candy is really into art but in the book Candy wanted to be an actress.

Final Thoughts
There is a lot more but I think everyone should watch the movie first then read the book. That's the way I did it and I wasn't at all disappointed. I'm not sure how I would feel if I had done it in reverse. The poetry in this book is just unreal. You can tell that the author really put his heart and soul in this book. I absolutely loved it!! IF I could five it more stars I would. Super duper loved!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Candy.

09/20/2011 page 46
15.0% "So far this book is sooo poetic and awesome! I super loves it! And remember in the movie when they are detoxing and taking pills? Those are heart pills. But the one thing that is driving me bonkers is the guy telling the story has not said or have had his name said at all. In the movie it was DAN. I wonder if it will ever be told? Or if they just made that up for the movie. Tre' odd."
09/21/2011 page 126
41.0% "Remember the baby scene in the movie? ZOMG! Wait till you read it!"
09/22/2011 page 149
49.0% "To get into this guy's head is amazing!"
09/22/2011 page 231
76.0% "WOAH! That cat part was freaking intense!! Plus, scared the daylights out of me!!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Darkfallen I can't wait to start this one!

Ronald Ng For the record: the novel is fictional but based on the experiences of the author's own heroin addiction. Also, there is a real Candy.

Greta is Erikasbuddy Ronald wrote: "For the record: the novel is fictional but based on the experiences of the author's own heroin addiction. Also, there is a real Candy.

Thank you so much for sharing! I was real curious :)