Debra's Reviews > Robopocalypse

Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson

Sep 08, 11

bookshelves: apocalyptic-dystopian, sai-king-recommends
Read from September 03 to 07, 2011

Stephen King recommended. June 2011 EW Summer Reading list. He says: "All the gadgets that inhabit our lives — from the biggest supercomputers to the humble Roomba vacuum cleaner — rise up and go to war against the humans who made them. It's going to be a Spielberg movie, and actually reads a little like a script, but so what? It's terrific page-turning fun."

When I first heard about this book, I didn't think it would be my cup of tea. But it surprised me. This book is about brave individuals put in dire circumstances and how they fight to save mankind. If you are looking for endless battles between robots and men, don't look here. Although there are battles, that isn't the main focus of the book. An enjoyable page-turner with characters you care about.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robopocalypse.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie synopsis sure sounds like a certain little movie from the 80's called Maximum Overdrive. :)

Debra Lonnie wrote: "synopsis sure sounds like a certain little movie from the 80's called Maximum Overdrive. :)"

lol, that's what I thought when I first heard about the book. However, this one is a lot more feasible, as the only machines involved are those run by computer. In the future, many things are run by computer, including cars. And they have robots doing a lot of the work. A scientist is responsible for creating a self-aware computer presence, which decides mankind needs to die to save the world. So it takes control of all the machines and turns them against humans. The plot is actually believable! I'm really enjoying it.