John's Reviews > Wake

Wake by Lisa McMann

Jun 25, 11

bookshelves: supernatural-teen, own
Read from June 21 to 23, 2011

Wake was a pretty awesome book. I really liked the premise, girl getting sucked into dreams and hasn't found a way to control it yet. I appretiated the fact that the girl was given the powers this time and not the guy. Janie was a great character. She was tough and independant and in contrast to the most recent literary heroines, she didn't rely on the male lead to do everything for her. (view spoiler)
Now while I really liked this story, it was in no way perfect. At first the writing style threw me off. Mostly because everything else that I've read lately has been from first person pov. After I got into it though it was really nice. Now while the premise of the story was good, the whole dream catcher thing, there wasn't very much of a plot line tying everything together. It was just Janie meeting Cabel and coming to terms with her powers and, conviently, along the way helping some cops out. (view spoiler) Now my biggest complaint, not really complaint more like wha?!?!?! (view spoiler)
Overall this book was great. So great in fact that I had to jump straight to the next book, which meant going out and buying it :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake.

06/21/2011 page 39
19.0% "Hmm...don't know how to feel about the pov in this. Quirky or disjointed??"