Erik Orrantia's Reviews > Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0: Origins

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0 by Randolph Lalonde

Jul 09, 11

Read from June 21 to July 09, 2011

I can´t remember the last time I read a sci-fi book. I got this one for free from Amazon. I am enjoying it. I like the characters--they are believeable--and human. The pace of the book is pleasing, though I sometimes have a hard time following the battl scenes. Aside from the obvious conflicts regarding the sort of imperialists, I am looking for something between the crew. The whole thing seems to be a bit like Star Wars and Star Trek--the small band of rebels against the big bad Empire and a talented crew acting like a family going to where no man has gone before. That, however, is not a negative criticism so much as a reflection. It is enjoyable reading.

Finished now...seemed to go on forever. Though I usually felt like I was there, I think the development of the characters and any sense of suspense in the plot was weak. I didn't really care much for them. And things just seemed to happen so quickly, despite the fact that the book seemed long. All of a sudden they're attacked and the ship that had just as quickly been ultram-modernized was destroyed, over and over again. I hoped I'd liked it but, in reality, I just wanted it to be over.

After reading the author's final comments, I realize he did want it to seem like watching a TV program. It was only missing "Captain's Log..." But as reflect on good old Star Trek episodes, I realize that Captain Kirk and even Spock have way more personality than these characters had. At least there were a few interesting plot twists. Nevertheless, when all is said and done, a story has to be about people and, in that regard, I have to rate this book low. I'd give it a two and a half.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spinward Fringe Broadcast 0.

06/21/2011
06/22/2011
32.0% "Wow...this is a long book."
06/23/2011
39.0% "Strange recurring punctuation error around quotation marks. Wonder how that happened."
06/25/2011
45.0% "Really feeling like I'm watching a Star Trek episode now. I was a little confused (possible spoiler ahead) as to what exactly the skills are that the captain supposedly had. He got captured right away and did nothing to escape but rely on his crew. Then he lost his artificial friend (sad...I liked her). It seems she's turned villainous. Moves a tad slow. I usually don't read sci fi and now I want to finish it."
07/06/2011
70.0% "Finally has some twists that make it a bit more interesting. I don't hate it, but I think I'd rather wait for the TV show."
show 2 hidden updates…