Carmine's Reviews > French Milk

French Milk by Lucy Knisley

Jun 29, 11

bookshelves: adult, graphic-novels, memoirs
Recommended for: frenchophiles and frenchophobes
Read in June, 2011

I too went to France with my mother when I was in my early 20s (23), but spent most of our time out of Paris. I like Paris, but I like the French country side and smaller towns even better.

I love Lucy Knisley's drawings and comics. Especially the cat ones and the book ones, like the totally awesome condensed Harry Potter comics she is working on: http://lucylou.livejournal.com/594942...
She is an amazing artist.

French Milk was a bit annoying. I really need to stop reading memoirs by 22 year olds. I was also annoyed at the whining- dude, your parents paid for you to live in Paris for 6 weeks, you go shopping all the time and you are eating in restaurants all the time. It made me appreciate my mom- the kind of tough middle age lady who schleps her big back pack from hostel to hostel, puts up with 20 year olds, and that we both made the trip work even though we were both broke- it worked because we ate in a restaurant maybe 4 times in 3 months and we didn't go shopping...period. (PS, my mom's appendix burst in the south of France and she is so tough she thought she just had a stomach ache for days. She almost died, but was too tough to die and then she didn't even bother to complain about the 10 days in a hospital.) So please stop all the whining and buying a new dress and whining and eating great food and whining and buying stuff at marche aux puces again and go write some more funny comix about cats and books.

PS. French milk is really not that great when you have to buy the cheap stuff that comes in a box and doesn't require refrigeration until you open it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read French Milk.