stephanie's Reviews > My Side of the Mountain

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George

Jun 08, 07

bookshelves: classics, would-rec, young-adult, childhood-favorites
Read in January, 1991

you know, i just realized that this is by the same author as Julie of the Wolves. no wonder i loved both so much, and they had so much in common.

this is about a boy who decides to leave his home and go live in the woods on his own. what is remarkable is that he does it - he checks some books out from the library, he learns what to eat and what not to eat. in the beginning, he is freezing and stupid, in the end, he is more than surviving - he is thriving. i read the second book in the series, and didn't know there was a third, so i'll have to look at that.

but the description of the trees (he lives inside a tree he hollows out with fire) reminded me so much of this grove of trees in big sur state park, that this book was even more alive for me. it started my life long mission to be able to survive in the wilderness with just a knife, string and safety pin. (i'm still going to learn how to do it, too!)

i seriously almost ran away countless times just to live out this book - luckily for my parents, despite living in a forest, i could never figure out how to get somewhere where no one would notice me smoking out a tree to live in.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Side of the Mountain.

Leigh I swear to God, you and I have the same brain. Modernism! Sharks! War! Wilderness survival! It's all there.