Kathleen (Kat) Smith's Reviews > She Makes It Look Easy

She Makes It Look Easy by Marybeth Mayhew Whalen

Jun 21, 2011

bookshelves: christian-fiction
Read in June, 2011

Two very different lives and both wishing to have some aspect of another's. Yet how very true is the saying, "The grass isn't always greener on the other side."

Take Ariel Baxter, busy mother of three boys and a wandering labrador named Lucky. Her schedule involves so much that Ariel can barely stay on top of things, like getting organized, remembering to not only have dinner on the table by the time her husband David gets home, but to make sure she has gone shopping so she has the ingredients. Now that she has moved into her "dream neighborhood" she vows that she will change and become a better wife and mom.

It will be easy for Ariel now thanks to her new neighbor, Justine Miller, the mom and wife who has it all together. From making bread from scratch, to the perfectly cleaned and organized home at all times, to the husband that takes about their first date with love in his eyes. Can she be too perfect? She provides classes at church to help other women organize and manage their lives more efficiently and Ariel wishes she could be half the woman, Justine is.

However, neither woman really sees the true picture, just the facade each of them has on the outside, what everyone else sees. Yet what lies underneath all the chaos and perfection will teach them something about themselves that they didn't see coming.

In the second novel by MaryBeth Whalen, She Makes It Look Easy, we get a chance to see things from two entirely different lives of married moms/wives. For me I could relate to Ariel because I am always trying to achieve that perfection I believe I need in order to be happy, thus making my family and home a happy place to be. What I am missing out on is life that is happening all around me, that moments of time are slipping away while I try to find a place for them. I can also see parts of myself in Justine, in being able to see that a perfect home is not what makes you happy inside.

I received this book compliments of Christian Fiction Blog Alliance for my honest review and think this one rates a 5 out of 5 stars. I think all of us try in many ways to be someone we are not, this book shows you what happens when we stretch those boundaries a little to far before we realize just how far we have come. A must read with a very clear message and a fantastic summer read for super, busy moms!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Makes It Look Easy.