David Lentz's Reviews > The Cloud of Unknowing: and The Book of Privy Counseling

The Cloud of Unknowing by William Johnston

Jun 21, 11

This great book by a 14th century monk will lead you to higher spirituality. The book seeks to offer to novices advice about how to achieve a more focused relationship with God in prayer. The monk's first premise is that our active lives intrude upon our ability to focus when we pray: he prescribes that we enter a "cloud of forgetting" about our everyday, active lives when we enter prayer. His second piece of advice is that we do not know what the future will bring and should not become worried, fearful or stress about the "cloud of unknowing." He urges us to focus only upon the present moment and to build a bridge through prayer worthy of oneself and one's deity. He recommends that with suitable mindfulness we can raise the depth of prayerful experience and advises that we are responsible for every minute of our life. I have practiced what the monk preaches and it works -- my time of prayer is more attuned and brings more energy to these spiritual moments. The net effect is that epiphanies or awakenings come more frequently now in which the essential meaning of life is revealed. I find that I am happier through the application of the monk's good advice as spiritual well-being leads to healthier relationships. The health of the interior impacts beneficially one's physical sense of well being. If you seek a higher level of spirituality, then this book can help take you there. "The Book Privy Counseling" in this edition builds upon his themes and advice aimed at more experienced practitioners seeking higher levels of spiritiuality. Why not take your spiritual awareness of life to the next level and enrich your faith journey through its many benefits?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cloud of Unknowing.