Skipper Ritchotte's Reviews > Crossed, Vol. 1

Crossed, Vol. 1 by Garth Ennis

Goodreads asks what I thought. I still don't know. Ennis and Jacen Burrows shows us the worst of humanity, brought about by a virus of some kind. Possibly. We don't ever find out why it happened. All we know is the "Crossed" are driven by an insatiable taste for rape and torture. It's just as pretty as it sounds. The survivors in the story are forced to make increasingly inhuman decisions just to stay alive.

Since we are launched into the action as the Crossed are unleashed on the world, we don't really get to know what the survivors were like before the outbreak, only seeing their new reality, their reaction to it. There are some flashbacks to their former lives, but only a taste here and there. It's almost as if Ennis doesn't want us to form attachments with anyone, except on an almost primal level. The result is a disturbing and bleak dystopia; Mad Max crossed with The Road? Close, but that doesn't quite cut it. As the back cover states: There is no hope. There are no heroes. No one is coming to save you.

I recommend not reading this one before bed, and having something cheerful (or at least non-violent) on hand to dive into as a chaser.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed, Vol. 1.