ZB's Reviews > The Art of Saying Goodbye: A Novel

F_50x66
Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: fiction, first-reads, owned-books
Read in June, 2011 — I own a copy

I really enjoyed this book- so much so that I read it in one sitting. I don't normally read books like this, but every now and then it's good to read a little chick-lit (like a chick-flick, but for books). I thought this book was a little bit of Steel Magnolias, Now and Then, and Stepmom all rolled together. I enjoyed the characters and their development throughout the book. I thought they would be a little closer as friends, but some seemed more acquaintances than friends. However, all of their lives were touched and changed by their association with Paisley who is the main character and the one diagnosed with cancer. The friends are joined together at a party hosted by Paisley ten years prior to present day. They just seemed to be the last group left at the end of the party rather than a group of best friends. Only one character, Andrea, seemed to be really good friends with Paisley but they were all touched and shaped by her life. She was there when they needed someone the most and now they try to be there for her. It was very realistic with some friends coming to terms with the cancer and others not knowing how to deal with it and staying away. I liked how the story was told, except for the first chapter when the point-of-view kept changing and it was confusing. The Paisley personal story chapters were endearing. A great read- I laughed and cried and immediately gave it to my mom to read. I received this book through GoodReads First Reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Saying Goodbye.