Pat McCay's Reviews > The Neon Bible

The Neon Bible by John Kennedy Toole

Jun 21, 11

This was honestly hard for me to read at times. I abandoned it the first time I tried to read it, about 6 years ago. It just oozes sadness and it can get to be a bit unbearable at times, but after I got into the heart of the book this second time I started reading it, I also found it to be really compelling and it really drew me into this world. The young boy telling the story uses perfectly believable language to describe his world in clear detail. I've found that books with a young narrator can prove to distract me when their language seems wrong somehow, but this never happens here. It reads so honestly it's as if O'Toole wrote this as a journal when he was that young. And the story touches on growing up in truthful ways I haven't read elsewhere. Thoroughly engrossing but also sad. The fact that O'Toole wrote this as a teenager is interesting and the fact that his only other work is "A Confederacy of Dunces" is incredible. The stories seem to me to be two very different sides of the same coin.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Neon Bible.