stephanie's Reviews > The Arm of the Starfish

The Arm of the Starfish by Madeleine L'Engle

Jun 08, 2007

bookshelves: good-more-than-once, young-adult, would-rec
Read in January, 1995

joey carr's mother was a librarian at one of the local high schools, and she found out i was a huge fan of l'engle. she recommended this to me, telling me that she had actually written books for adults and teenagers, outside of the wrinkle universe. (or as l'engle herself divides them, chronos (austins) and kairos (murrays), with characters intersecting both worlds - canon talis, zachary, and adam.)

anyway, i saved this book for a particularly rotten day, thinking that i needed a good comforting pick-me-up-happy-ending book. little did i know.

this was the second book i ever cried at, and i think the total of books that have caused tears is now at five. admittedly, i wasn't expecting it - which is maybe a testament to how skillful l'engle is at writing - but i love adam, and i love joshua, and i love the idea of caring about the "fall of the sparrow". not to mention, this was the first we saw of post-time quartet meg and calvin, and i loved poly from the minute i met her, and since my mom is a marine biologist, i loved that aspect of the story as well. (again, her interest in science is so fascinating - and exposes people who think they aren't "into" science or think they don't like it to the grand huge ideas driving science without condescending.)

i still love adam, i still wish he came back in later books to polly, instead of vicky, but. it's a beautiful story, and it hurts, because it's beautiful, and because the decisions you make in life are hard and never really black and white, as much as you'd like.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arm of the Starfish.

09/16/2016 marked as: read