Linda's Reviews > Tangled

Tangled by Mary Balogh

Jun 21, 2011

Read in June, 2011

Polished this off in one day and will be anxiously looking for a copy of my own since this one has to go back to the library. It won't be going back until the last day because I'll want to reread this one.

First of all, we've gone beyond Regency. This book features women in hoop skirts and characters riding trains.

Now back to the plot...

Julian goes off to the Crimean War with his older foster brother, David. Julian leaves behind his wife Rebecca who has known both men since childhood. She blindly adores Julian and despises David believing him to be a rake and lacking in character. Turns out it's the other way around but David has lived his life taking the blame for Julian and now continues it to protect Recca.

A shocking turn ends up with Julian dead on the battlefield. David is wounded twice but survives to come home two years later. He wants to move to an estate he owns but has never lived at to try to start again, he proposes to Rebecca offering her a new start too.

She reluctantly accepts because she doesn't care for David but longs for a new life. They marry and head to the estate where things get interestiing.

There are a couple of great plot twists in here that you don't see coming. I learned more about the Crimean War than I ever knew before.

Definitely a page turner.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tangled.