Anne Nikoline's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

Mar 04, 13

bookshelves: horror-fiction, dystopian-post-apocalyptic, supernatural-features, adult-ilterature
Recommended to Anne Nikoline by: Wendy Darling
Recommended for: fans of zombies
Read on June 21, 2011

When I first got my hands on Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion I was thrilled. The story seemed original with its zombie-plot, but my idea of this novel changed quite a bit after a while. I did enjoy the story and I probably will if I ever decide to pick it up again, but the story is not original at all. Instead it echoes Shakespeare.

Warm Bodies is more like a post-apocalyptic version of Romeo and Juliet where Romeo kills Paris and marries Juliet. In Isaac Marion's version R kills Perry who is trying to protect his girlfriend Julie. When I first discovered this I was stunned. Shakespeare probably had some inspiration from Tristan and Isolde but at least he was smart enough to make the love story is own.

If you are a fan of young adult novels or like zombie love stories, Warm Bodies might be just right for you. Also, anybody can mange to read 241 pages, but I would recommend everyone to read Shakespeare instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

06/21/2011 page 28
12.0% "Wow!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya Zemlock This is the way it was supposed to be. Perry (Paris), R (Romeo), and Julie (Juliette.)He was creating irony and an OH moment when you figured this out.

Anne Nikoline It either works or it doesn't and it just didn't work for me.

message 3: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya Zemlock I respect that.

Anne Nikoline Thank you!

message 5: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Dunlop Warm bodies is SUPPOSED to be a version of Romeo & Juliet. R - Romeo, Julie - Juliet, Marcus- Mercucio, Perry- Paris. I love how it is a zombie version of Romeo & Juliet but it has it's own style and quirkiness to it. I think that's the charm. How many Cinderella versions do we have? Why not a different take on Romeo & Juliet, then?

Anne Nikoline I'm glad you enjoyed this version of Romeo and Juliet. It just didn't work for me.