Nikoline's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Jul 26, 2015

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopian, american, 2000s, fiction, male-author, novel
Recommended to Nikoline by: Wendy Darling
Recommended for: fans of zombies
Read on June 21, 2011

When I first got my hands on Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion I was thrilled. The story seemed original with its zombie-plot, but my idea of this novel changed quite a bit after a while. I did enjoy the story and I probably will if I ever decide to pick it up again, but the story is not original at all. Instead it echoes Shakespeare.

Warm Bodies is more like a post-apocalyptic version of Romeo and Juliet where Romeo kills Paris and marries Juliet. In Isaac Marion's version R kills Perry who is trying to protect his girlfriend Julie. When I first discovered this I was stunned. Shakespeare probably had some inspiration from Tristan and Isolde but at least he was smart enough to make the love story is own.

If you are a fan of young adult novels or like zombie love stories, Warm Bodies might be just right for you. Also, anybody can mange to read 241 pages, but I would recommend everyone to read Shakespeare instead.
25 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

06/21 page 28
12.0% "Wow!"
04/18 marked as: read

message 1: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya Zemlock This is the way it was supposed to be. Perry (Paris), R (Romeo), and Julie (Juliette.)He was creating irony and an OH moment when you figured this out.

Nikoline It either works or it doesn't and it just didn't work for me.

message 3: by Mya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mya Zemlock I respect that.

Nikoline Thank you!

message 5: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Dunlop Warm bodies is SUPPOSED to be a version of Romeo & Juliet. R - Romeo, Julie - Juliet, Marcus- Mercucio, Perry- Paris. I love how it is a zombie version of Romeo & Juliet but it has it's own style and quirkiness to it. I think that's the charm. How many Cinderella versions do we have? Why not a different take on Romeo & Juliet, then?

Nikoline I'm glad you enjoyed this version of Romeo and Juliet. It just didn't work for me.