Kaycee Looney's Reviews > Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising by Philippa Ballantine

721962
Jun 22, 11

Recommended for: anyone who enjoys steampunk, British humor, mystery/thrillers and cool gadgets.
Read from June 21 to 22, 2011

Upon first seeing the cover of this book, I had to smile at the two MC's names - Agents Books and Braun! :-D "Ok, I thought, I have to give this a chance."

Phillipa (Pip) Ballantine and Tee Morris have created a fun, witty and adventure-filled steampunk novel. It is the first steampunk book I've read, but if I can find more with this level of writing and entertainment value - I'm officially a fan! Oh, and this is the first in a series, so I'll be keeping an eye out for book two.

The back cover blurb was a bit misleading, as the murders referred to in that text were only past occurrences in the novel.
Eliza D. Braun is a field agent for the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, working to preserve order under the reign of "Queen Vic." Wellington Thornhill Books, Esquire, is the head of the Ministry's archives - he is NOT a librarian, but an archivist (as he so often reminds Eliza).

When Agent Braun brings too much attention to the existence of the clandestine Ministry, she is reassigned to the Archives. But, that doesn't keep her confined to the stuffy basement for long. Upon discovering that the Ministry has an entire room filled with unsolved cases just waiting for attention, Braun takes action. Her former partner was driven mad by a case he never had the chance to solve - and she intends to remedy that, with or without Agent Books' help.

The pair find themselves involved in something much more dangerous than they expected, and the layers of this scheme become increasingly complicated as they learn more about the mysterious Phoenix Society.

There are a lot of cool steampunk gadgets and a couple of the scenes felt a bit forced just so the authors could include a couple more of them. But, since I love a good fight scene, I forgive them. A really enjoyable read. :-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Phoenix Rising.