Allison's Reviews > This Burns My Heart

This Burns My Heart by Samuel Park

Jun 20, 11

Read in June, 2011

A lovely book of love, sacrifice, and customs of early marriage in Korea. Still, it was a story I am sure I have read before, and Park was unable to bring a new spark to the ancient tale. In summary: worth reading as a romance novel of sorts or a superficial look at Asian customs and values, but it would be more worthwhile to spend the time on novels by authors such as Amy Tan, Haruki Murakami, or Pearl S. Buck.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Burns My Heart.

message 1: by Priya (new)

Priya sam park is korean, and haruki murakami is japanese, not chinese. they are from different countries and totally different cultures.

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah The book was set in postwar Korea.

message 3: by Motheaten (new)

Motheaten Besides the differences in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean cultures, take note of the time period as well. The content in the book will then make sense.

message 4: by Creative (last edited Jul 08, 2011 02:10PM) (new) - added it

Creative  Magic This book is set in KOREA. You have confused it with another book set in CHINA.

message 5: by Kristalyn (new)

Kristalyn I see you've been corrected. Most people can't tell the difference between all the Asian cultures, but come on; you supposedly read the book and still can't pinpoint Korean vs. Chinese?

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy It seems that you have been corrected, so I won't repeat all the other comments--just consider them said again.

Allison Sorry everyone! Thank you for correcting me--I was in the midst of reading a lot of different books set in Asia (generally speaking), and unfortunately did not pay attention to what I was doing when I jotted down this review. It is still not an excusable error (since I would be awfully upset if I wrote a book about American customs and someone claimed it was set in Canada). My apologies!

message 8: by Kristalyn (new)

Kristalyn Very graciously said. I hope you didn't feel llike everyone was attacking you! Everyone gets mixed up sometimes. :)

Bethface sanders Although you mixed up the cultures I agree with your point. it was a typical story without something unique or enough suspense to make it a page-turner.

Bridget To be entirely fair, Pearl S. Buck did not write only about China but also India with Mandala, America with several books and also Korea, with Living Reed, which I enjoyed very much.