Sistermagpie's Reviews > Lair of the White Worm

Lair of the White Worm by Bram Stoker

Jun 20, 11

it was ok
Read in June, 2011

I had associated this book with the Ken Russel movie. I haven't seen the movie, but knowing it's Ken Russel I assumed it would be crazy. But probably not, in some ways, as crazy as the book! A young man comes to England from Australia and helps his great uncle uncover a monster living in the neighborhood.

I was unprepared for how racist the book was. One of two villains has a black companion usually referred to by slurs. Also his terrible qualities are always described as being typical of his race. Reading that I couldn't help but imagine what the story would look like if you turned that around on the white people though, because they're in their way far more nutty.

Over and over the two innocent women in the neighborhood fight battles of will with an evil mesmerist, yet when he comes knocking for tea a few days later they let him in. What's more, no one mentions how the last time he came over they stared at each other and finally shooed him out of the room before he could kill one of them with his mind.

The other villain, the personification of the White Worm, holds similar tea parties where people just don't mention things like the fact that she greased the floor and tried to make them slip down a big pit a few moments earlier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lair of the White Worm.

message 1: by Feliks (new)

Feliks Undisturbing. What I've found among racists is that they're not afraid to have it turned back on them. As long as you're polite about it.