Nely's Reviews > Moonglass

Moonglass by Jessi Kirby

Jun 21, 11

bookshelves: amazon-vine, for-review, own
Read from June 14 to 18, 2011

Anna's life is turned upside down when her father accepts a job offer far from her home, her friends, her beach, and the waves that took her mother's life. Now, at Crystal Cove, she is even more haunted by the loss of her mother... for it is the same place her mother and father once met and fell in love. Although she and her father have always maintained a good relationship, she feels that mentioning her mother and her loss is taboo. So instead of dwelling in the past, she plans on enjoying her summer. After all, she has a new beach to swim in, new boys (one hottie lifeguard in particular) to fall for, and new friends to make... but uncovering family secrets may be just what she and her father need to finally begin to truly live.

Moonglass is the ideal summer read. There's the beach, the sand, the lifeguards (wink wink), the search for the perfect moonglass and even a mystery to unravel.

While I truly enjoyed reading Moonglass, and getting to know Anna - whom I must say I truly liked, my favorite aspect of the story was the setting... the beach - Crystal Cove. Ms. Kirby does a phenomenal job of describing everything from the sand in your toes to the smell of salt in the air. It was a very visual experience for me.

Although the story did have a slow start for me and there were a few moments that lost their momentum, I was still very intrigued by the relationship between Anna and her father. How strained it had become since the loss of her mother and my hopes that they would somehow begin to accept their loss and eventually heal. I also found it a nice surprise that while there was some mild romance it wasn't the main focus of the story. Instead I found Moonglass to have a more serious tone... bittersweet and heartbreaking, yet sweet and inspirational.

Moonglass will have you yearning for summer and a chance to stick your feet in the ocean. A lovely read, one that you should not leave out of your beach bag this summer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonglass.