Fred's Reviews > Beautiful Disaster

Jun 29, 11

Recommended to Fred by: Laura YA indie princess
Recommended for: Fans of Jennifer Echols, Kody Keplinger
Read from June 24 to 29, 2011, read count: 1

This is kind of a weird combination of Fight Club, 10 Things I Hate About You and Casino (don't let this scare you off or mislead you into looking for the plot to follow any of those, just a vibe thing). It's the story of two extremely prickly people from dysfunctional families (no moms, lots of emotional abuse) who burst into flames of crazy, crazy love when they meet. Unfortunately, our dear MC (who is lovable, likable, but often irritating) spends most of the book denying those feelings for various good or silly reasons. So obviously there's lots of intense drama - major sexual tension build-up alert when they sleep together for a month as the result of a bet - but only as "best friends," no intimacy allowed. Uh huh, that is so going to work out for you two. And the resultant intense emotional highs and lows are what make this book both fun to read and somewhat maddening, since they are often the result of foolish pride, poor impulse control and bad judgment (Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols was sure a great book along these lines, btw). Flames of crazy, crazy love often end up burning people around them, and there's plenty of that, too. Overall, I enjoyed reading this, but probably would have given it three stars except for 1) self-pub, $2.99, gotta encourage that; 2) super page turner, you keep waiting for the seemingly inevitable disaster of the title; and 3) secrets, lies and sexy times. Also, great cover, although as is so often the case, the precise way it has anything to do with the book is somewhat enigmatic (there are lots of tattoos, though, he's "that kind of boy.") One minor quibble: what with all the ass-kicking of various friends, acquaintances, enemies and randoms that Travis engages in, not to mention various other catastrophic events he's involved in/causes, I couldn't help but wonder at the incompetence of the Eastern University campus police. Just sayin'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Disaster.

06/24/2011
25.0% "Off to an interesting start, not what I expected - thought more like the Duff, but they are "friends?" wth?"
06/28/2011
80.0% "Enjoying this rollercoaster ride. Deep, dark, complex - it's like coffee! And similarly addictive."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ann has a dirty mouth Ok, I know I told you that I wanted to read it, but I really want to read it now because it was discussed on the Dear Author podcast this week. I am ready to put my ranting pants on. :)

Fred I'm not going to loan you this if it is for snarking purposes, it is a cute, fun book and I love this author! ;-)

Ann has a dirty mouth I want to snark the snarkers- I genuinely love books like this, and I am very interested in fighting the feminist fantasy police.

Ann has a dirty mouth Ann wrote: "I want to snark the snarkers- I genuinely love books like this, and I am very interested in fighting the feminist fantasy police."

And I told you that I thought someone was on my porch, and Harold went out with an 18" claw hammer and a hunting knife cause I was scared. Luckily it was falling icicles and no one had to get an Old Boy style beatdown. We were both totally ready though!

Editors note- Ashley said that is because Harold and I have Napoleon complexes- not that we are actually tough. :(

Fred Whew, I wish I had enough energy to follow all this, she's like a strong heroine, what's the beef with her?

Ann has a dirty mouth Fred wrote: "Whew, I wish I had enough energy to follow all this, she's like a strong heroine, what's the beef with her?"

Supposedly she romanticises domestic violence and makes young women think it is ok to be in a relationship with a violent, controlling and abusive person.

Fred Oh that. Well, they both have their issues to deal with, there's no disputing that. Is everything supposed to be all didactic, uplifting, and following a pc script illustrating appropriate emotions and values now? I will be curious to see what you think about this onee, if that's the spin people are putting on it.

Ann has a dirty mouth Fred wrote: "Oh that. Well, they both have their issues to deal with, there's no disputing that. Is everything supposed to be all didactic, uplifting, and following a pc script illustrating appropriate emotio..."

In my opinion, with regard to romances, the grittier the better. That is actually the main reason I don't read a lot of YA.

Fred I think you are reading the wrong YA if you don't think it's gritty enough. But there's plenty of great books out there, so I won't pester you to hang around my neighborhood. This one is fun, I thought. In retrospect, I'm really liking my review, btw.

message 10: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Pace I loved this review! You do a great job of not using spoilers but capturing the experience, Fred!