Jamie's Reviews > A Perfect Blood

A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison

4199122
Feb 28, 12

bookshelves: books-i-obsess-over, demons, magic, series-i-can-t-wait-to-continue
Read from February 21 to 25, 2012

Leather before sundown is tacky.

In Kim Harrison's tenth installment of her wildly popular Hollows series, Rachel Morgan is dealing with the consequences of the previous book, Pale Demon. At the end of Pale Demon, Trent gave Rachel a bracelet made of charmed silver to give her a chance to recover without Algaliarept finding her. While the bracelet is able to hide Rachel from Al, it also cuts her off from all of her ley line magic. A good portion of this book is Rachel trying to live her life without the use of her most powerful magic, and coming to the realization that she must embrace who she is, not deny it.

A Perfect Blood opens with a series of ritualistic murders. Witches are being held and transformed against their will in a horrifying way. Rachel is called in to help investigate, and soon learns that if she doesn't help the FIB, she will be blamed for the gruesome acts. Ivy and Jenks are by Rachel's side, as always.

A new character, Wayde, is a Were that serves as Rachel's personal bodyguard. Rachel immediately begins working on this run, but the best she can do is create earth magic locator charms that she is unable to invoke herself. We see the appearance of an ex-boyfriend briefly in this book, whose only purpose is to invoke Rachel's charms. Rachel is also dealing with her feelings of loneliness. It seems like Ivy and Jenks are moving on with their lives, while Rachel is stagnant, if not moving backwards with the loss of her magic.

I enjoyed the relationship between Wayde and Rachel. At first, Rachel doesn't believe that Wayde can protect her, and in true Rachel fashion, sets out to prove it. Wayde proves he is worth his mettle, but then seems to take a back seat for the rest of the book. At one point, it seemed like there was an attraction between Wayde and Rachel, but that seemed to fizzle by the end of this book.

"Obviously, Rachel, you are one crazy bitch. But I like you. Your loyalty impresses me. It makes putting up with the rest of your crap worth it."

As the plot progresses, and more murders occur, Rachel closes in on the murderers. There is a fight scene between Rachel, Ivy, Jenks and law enforcement and the deranged scientists that are trying to transform witches into demons. Rachel is kidnapped and held by the fringe group because they need her demon-witch blood to perform their experiments. Rachel is help captive and is at the mercy of her kidnappers. Rachel, still wearing the charmed silver bracelet, is unable to tap a ley line to help defend herself or to escape. This is where Rachel has an epiphany and vows to remove her bracelet. Rachel manages to escape just as Trent comes searching for her. This was a very important moment in this book, in my opinion. Ivy, Jenks and Detective Glenn are no where to be found. Trent knew exactly where to look for Rachel, and becomes her rescuer.

Trent also serves as Rachel's magic savior when he helps Rachel to use her ley line magic once again. There is a great scene where Trent trusts Rachel to deal with Al on her own terms when the wily demon comes looking for her. It was nice to see Trent letting Rachel handle this on her own, without his interference. Trent also give Rachel several elven magic charms and a special locator ring. The relationship between Trent and Rachel is cautious at best. Trent wavers between stuck-up businessman and the undercover, "mission-impossible" elf we saw in the previous book. There are tender moments between Trent and Rachel, but nothing as major as we saw at the end of Pale Demon. Trent definitely earned my trust in this book.

"You're a good person. Don't change because I'm a bastard."

Ivy was present in this book, but had a much more limited role than in the past. Ivy is trying her hardest to move on from her feelings towards Rachel. She is also busy helping another living vampire who has fallen on hard times. Jenks is still the smart-ass, warrior pixy that he always has been. He is learning to accept his new life with his new live-in fairy, and remains unwaveringly loyal to Rachel and Ivy. He injects crude humor and lightness to this book, and remains one of my favorite sidekick characters in the UF genre.

"Rachel and Trent, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. No wait, it was a hospital room, and he had his hands on your ass and you had your tongue down his throat. I can see why you might be confused."

Although I enjoyed this book, it was not my favorite of this series. The pacing was off for me. It was very slow reading for the first half of this book. Things became much more interesting at the halfway point. I went back and forth between a three and four star rating for this book, but ultimately went with three stars because of the slow plot line. Don't get me wrong - there was a lot of action in parts, but it seemed drawn out more than I would like. I would have liked to have seen more relationship building between Rachel and Trent. They seemed to be just on the precipice of something, but it never came to fruition.

I was also surprised by the heavy use of Kisten's name in this book. I think it was meant as a way to convey Rachel's feelings of being separate and alone, but his name was mentioned several times in different situations throughout this book. Kisten's name hasn't been mentioned this much for many books, and it was interesting to say the least.

I also would have liked to see more of my favorite demon, Algaliarept. Oh, how I love whenever he says, "Rachel Mariana Morgan!" It brings such a smile to my face. Al was present in this book, but like Ivy, in a very limited way. Pierce was barely mentioned in this book, and I'm still wondering what happened to him since he's been in the Ever After.

I think that this book is setting us up very nicely for the next book, Ever After. Rachel has come to terms with who she is, and is not afraid of herself or anyone else at this point. Trent is proving to be one of Rachel's closest confidantes, while Ivy and Jenks seem to be moving forward with their lives. I hope that Ever After brings us more information on Trent and Rachel's fledgling relationship, and I hope to see Rachel fully come into her own in the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Perfect Blood.

02/21/2012
6.0% "The mention of a certain character, more than once already, has me sad...and confused. I thought we were done with this."
02/22/2012
28.0% 13 comments
02/24/2012
68.0% "Rachel Mariana Morgan....."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Susie As much as I loved Kisten, I have to say I am warming to a Trent and Rachel romance. She keeps thinking about that kiss, too!!

Jamie Hey no complaints from me. I was just wondering why we're getting so much Kisten talk. Again.

At the end of the last book, I was crushing on Trent, Pierce and Al - all for different reasons, of course ;-)

Susie I'm missing Al, too!!! I never really caught on to Pierce, though. But I'm right there with you on crushing on Trent! ;D

Jamie Susie wrote: "I'm missing Al, too!!! I never really caught on to Pierce, though. But I'm right there with you on crushing on Trent! ;D"

Oh, when Pierce sacrificed himself for Rachel, that really got me.

Susie I think the short story where he was originally introduced got me off to a rocky start with poor Pierce. I liked him as a character, but I just couldn't feel that connection with him as a love interest for Rachel.

Jamie Susie wrote: "I think the short story where he was originally introduced got me off to a rocky start with poor Pierce. I liked him as a character, but I just couldn't feel that connection with him as a love inte..."

I have to admit, I never read that short story. I'm not super Team Pierce, but I do like him. I don't like thinking about him rotting away in the Ever After with Al, though.

Susie This is true. We don't want to see the poor guy being tortured there. :/

Btw, sending you a PM in a sec......

message 8: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN 3 stars huh??? Sorry to hear that. :( I know this is one of your favorite series.

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "3 stars huh??? Sorry to hear that. :( I know this is one of your favorite series."

This book wasn't terrible. To me, though, it was a let down after the awesomeness of the last book.

message 10: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN You're not the first buddy of mine to see the same let down after Pale Demon....I wish I was caught so we could chat why but I'll stay away from the spoilers!;)

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "You're not the first buddy of mine to see the same let down after Pale Demon....I wish I was caught so we could chat why but I'll stay away from the spoilers!;)"

Yes - stay away from the spoilers. Nothing really happened in this book, spoilerwise, besides the ridiculous number of mentions of a character that is no longer in this series. Didn't make much sense to me :(

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user Yet another series I must read! At least the previous books were better?

Jamie new_user wrote: "Yet another series I must read! At least the previous books were better?"

This is a fabulous UF series! It is one of my most favorites. The first book or two take a while to get into - that's what most people say. I was smitten from the beginning. This book wasn't bad, just not nearly as good in my opinion as Pale Demon. Rachel is still one of my favorite heroines, and I expect BIG things from the next book :)

message 14: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN Jamie wrote: "MISS VAIN wrote: "You're not the first buddy of mine to see the same let down after Pale Demon....I wish I was caught so we could chat why but I'll stay away from the spoilers!;)"

Yes - stay away ..."

I will stay away....I think I know the character only because peeps mentioned it on newsfeeds....but no worries, this is one series I plan to catch up on this summer!;) So I can read the next released book with you!;) I hate when they bring up the past too much in books.ughhhh

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "Jamie wrote: "MISS VAIN wrote: "You're not the first buddy of mine to see the same let down after Pale Demon....I wish I was caught so we could chat why but I'll stay away from the spoilers!;)"

Ye..."

It just seemed like this character was brought up A LOT. He wasn't mentioned much in the last few books, and I didn't like it much. At all.

And you know I love this series, Vain. I just looked at my review for Pale Demon, and I obviously was gushing over it last year. I think the next book is the last in this series, maybe? Can't remember right now....

message 16: by new_user (new)

new_user Jamie wrote: "new_user wrote: "Yet another series I must read! At least the previous books were better?"

Hmmn, two books until the goodness? That's harsh, but I'll give it a shot. :D Hope I like it from the get-go too! LOL.

message 17: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN Shut up!!?? Last book? Whaaaat??! I'm really late to the game.:( I'm sorry you're series is ending,

Jamie new_user wrote: "Jamie wrote: "new_user wrote: "Yet another series I must read! At least the previous books were better?"

@new_user - I liked this series from the getgo. But I know some folks thought it was slow in the beginning. There are a lot of converging plot lines and characters with their own objectives. There's not a ton of romance in this series, although there is some. I like PNR, but I'm a UF girl at heard :) And really, how can you turn down a book with a character named Algaliarept?

@Vain - I think I read that somewhere. I think next year's book is titled Ever After. I will be interested after this book to see how this all wraps up.

Jamie Jamie wrote: "new_user wrote: "Jamie wrote: "new_user wrote: "Yet another series I must read! At least the previous books were better?"

This is a fabulous UF series! It is one of my most favorites. The first ..."

Oh, I don't know now. Harrison's Web site said that she's contracted for 12-13 books in this series. This was book 10, so that means we have 2-3 left. That makes me happy, because I don't know how she would tie up all the loose ends in one book!

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL! Algaliarept? Wow. Hmmn, I like realistic characters with their own objectives -I'm into character-driven stuff more than plot-driven- but I do prefer some romance. I've read maybe two UF that can stand without it. Are there any "special scenes"? LOL. I do like that there's an end in sight, hopefully not hasty.

Jamie There is some romance, but a lot of it centers on main character Rachel Morgan's less than good decision making skills, lol! There aren't any real "special scenes" lol! Of course, when I think of "special scenes," I think of Cat and Bones, ha! And at this point, the series is focusing on main characters Rachel's, Ivy's and Jenks' growth from the beginning of the series.

I think there needs to be at least two more books to wrap it all up. There are so many characters with their own motives and the story has come so far! And Algaliarept (Al for short) is a demon that I've grown to love!

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, that does sound good! :D

message 23: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN Well don't you love it when you find your favorite series has more books than you previously thought? When Cat and Bones got more books I was excited and I would be so happy if Downside got this many books!;)

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "Well don't you love it when you find your favorite series has more books than you previously thought? When Cat and Bones got more books I was excited and I would be so happy if Downside got this ma..."

If Downside got this many books, I'd be beside myself :)

message 25: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN Me too!! Hehe

message 26: by new_user (last edited Feb 25, 2012 06:09PM) (new)

new_user To be honest, if a series dragged on strictly for contract's sake, I may get annoyed out, but maybe ten books is just right for the Downside series, LOL.

message 27: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN new_user wrote: "To be honest, if a series dragged on strictly for contract's sake, I may get annoyed out, but maybe ten books is just right for the Downside series, LOL."

Ten books would be fantastic!;) but I'm greedy lol so it seems like 10 may not be enough of Terrible for me <3, or even Chess for that matter.:))

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "new_user wrote: "To be honest, if a series dragged on strictly for contract's sake, I may get annoyed out, but maybe ten books is just right for the Downside series, LOL."

Ten books would be fanta..."

Stacia Kane is smart, though. If the series is running out of steam, I truly believe she'll stop writing it.

message 29: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN I agree!! Stacia is smart.....Unfortunately Charlaine Harris keeps going without the steam, lol. I'm excited for Sookie next month, I'm wondering if I'm a glutton for punishment or not? Also the last couple Cat & Bones books haven't been as wonderful and entertaining as 1-4 was for me.

Jamie MISS VAIN wrote: "I agree!! Stacia is smart.....Unfortunately Charlaine Harris keeps going without the steam, lol. I'm excited for Sookie next month, I'm wondering if I'm a glutton for punishment or not? Also the la..."

Sookie lost me in the last book. I'll read the rest of the series, but I'm not real excited about them. I was okay with Cat and Bones until the last book. That one just didn't do it for me, but I"m looking very forward to Vlad's book ;-)

message 31: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN I think Sookie started going downhill with Dead in the Family (I think it's called). Also when she posted that Sookie will not end up with Eric,:(.

Well I'm always okay with Cat and Bones hehe, but I actually liked the one prior to the last better than the last, but my favorite is book #4, so much torture in a dirty but good way!;)

I think Vlad's book is going to be amazing like the way Cat and Bones used to be. I <3 Vlad!;)

message 32: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN What are you doing today?

Jamie Huh? Doing Saturday stuff...cleaning the house, stupid stuff. My oldest son went to the hockey game today with my dad, so I was able to finish this book :) What about you, missy?

message 34: by MISS VAIN (new) - added it

MISS VAIN Check your email.....I've sent like 3 or something lol....but go to the link, I'm in the middle of it & I'm on pins and needles, you will be too!!!

Writing several reviews, when I finish it will be a weight off my shoulders lol. Glad you were able to read while two of the men of the house were playing hockey!;)))

Jamie Ha! Read your e-mails and the link...I'm so not happy about any of this....I have a bad feeling, still....

message 36: by new_user (new)

new_user That's true, Kane probably won't drag it out, and she has a lot more material than some too with all of Chess' problems, LOL. Terrible just wouldn't be the same without her.