Christine's Reviews > Low Red Moon

Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Jun 20, 11

Read in June, 2011

I read this book twice because I enjoyed reading it. It's a typical paranormal romance, with a few bonuses that are splendid. Naturally, I have a list.
1. It's Twilight but not so obnoxious...so to speak. I have to defend the paranormal romance writer in general. They've all seen the success of books with insta-love, brooding boys, and sweet somewhat lonesome girls. They're popular. Teen girls LOVE them. Single women LOVE them. Moms LOVE them. I mean, you see what I mean. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Yet, what really impressed me and cracked me up about this book is that Devlin acknowledges this and uses a bit of self-deprecating humor towards it. For example, I nearly died laughing when Avery asked how old he was, and he said seventeen, and she responded with "For how long?" Ben says "Six months." And proceeds to tell her that, duh, he's not immortal. That's the sort of self-deprecating humor I'm referring to. She acknowledges that this is Twilight, but not, at the same time.
2. The characters are wonderful! Avery, bless her, thinks for herself. Yeah, she trusts Ben, but she also thinks very logically about things. So, even when Ben is promising her his personality wouldn't let him kill anyone, there's doubt on both sides, so she runs. Some people dislike this. I don't. It's a very un-Bella move.
3. I loved Renee and Avery. Their relationship was really interesting to watch blossom. The only thing I regret is that her parents weren't bigger characters.
4. I loved the Little Red Riding Hood undertones. It's my favorite fairy tale. You have the title, which includes the word "red". Avery is obviously little Red. Ben is (duh) the wolf. Then you have the wood cutter--or in this case, an axe murderer. I just loooved that part!

So, I had other reasons for liking this, but they've slipped my mind. Hem. If I remember, I'll add.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Low Red Moon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna I actually read part of this book at the beggining of the summer but wasn't able to finish it. I think I will read it and finish it :)

Christine Donna wrote: "I actually read part of this book at the beggining of the summer but wasn't able to finish it. I think I will read it and finish it :)"

I highly recommend it...Ben is such a trustworthy name.