Scott Taylor's Reviews > True Believer

True Believer by Nicholas Sparks

Jun 26, 11

Read from June 20 to 24, 2011

A nicely crafted, romantic story about doing the right thing and learning to love when all hope is lost. And I really related to Jeremy. He and I had a lot in common, as it turned out.

The story was simple enough, about an investigative journalist who heads to a small town to investigate some strange happenings at the cemetery. Lights are appearing in strange ways at odd hours of the night. As a skeptic, he is making it his job to expose the truth behind the phenomena. But he is a skeptic with a heart of gold. Rather than go about things the easy way or the cynical way, he considers it his duty to care. This is one reason I liked him and bought into the book.

As to the phenomena itself he is investigating, it reminded me of my own small town. There was a place where similar lights would appear and me and my friends would refer to it as the Bermuda Triangle of our small town. It was spooky, absolutely, but we also all knew it wasn't really caused by ghosts. It doesn't matter, really, because its still fun to fantasize. There is no harm in a little whimsy once in a while.

Back to the book, there could have been a little more fleshing out of some of the characters, particularly Lexi. Also others such as Tully the talkative gas station attendant or Jed the big concierge. Not many characters get more than an introductory sequence. But thats a fairly minor bugaboo, I suppose.

My wife warned me when she heard I was reading a Sparks book that it would be a tear-jerker. Actually...not so. Quite the pleasant experience overall.

Thanks for reading.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Believer.

06/24/2011 page 156