Meghan's Reviews > Scent of the Missing: Love and Partnership with a Search-and-Rescue Dog

Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson

Jun 27, 11

Read from June 20 to 25, 2011 — I own a copy

I hadn't come across this book before, but I received it as a birthday gift and I really enjoyed it.

The book chronicles the author's progress from novice to experienced and certified dog/handler team. She writes her interactions with her dog so well, sounds and sights described in perfect detail. She brings the reader into the searches. Most of the searches end with disappointment and sadness. It is kind of fristrating that she never really tells a story where the search dogs find someone missing, other than the already dead, but through the book, you begin to understand that is exactly how it happens the vast majority of the time. You begin to see how truly courageous and selfless these volunteers are. They work in horrible conditions for no pay and frequently sad outcomes. But their work is necessary and there is no substitute in many cases. She teaches us the wonder of how amazing these dogs can really be and how much work it takes to simply properly interpret their signals. How hard it can be to encourage a dog and reward them for a job well done.

I truly enjoyed the book from beginning to end. It was a quick read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scent of the Missing.