Alison's Reviews > Hello Goodbye

Hello Goodbye by Emily Chenoweth

Jul 11, 11

Read from July 09 to 11, 2011

While this book doesn't neatly wrap up in a tidy package, it is a very human story. The writer does a very good job of creating a host of characters, most of whom are made real by their honest (and haphazard) attempts to grapple with terminal illness. There were times when I wanted to smack Elliot and Abby for their seeming selfish attitudes; the voice of Helen was fragile and precious, and I wish the reader were given more chances to hear the story from her perspective.
This story has many layers and at times seemed a little overreaching, but in the end, the book does the story justice. I particularly liked the setting-- a mammoth hotel of yesteryear set in the mountains of New England, attended to by a bunch of teenagers.
Yes, at times the book was a bit slow, but there were some very moving characters, all of whom were mirrors for the grief of Elliot, Helen, and Abby. Some exquisitely written pages. All in all, a pretty good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello Goodbye.

07/10/2011 page 70
26.0% "OMG This book is going to set me back a whole box of tissues, I can see it now. Very well-written, interesting characters. Stay tuned."
show 1 hidden update…