Lee's Reviews > My Dark Places

My Dark Places by James Ellroy

May 27, 12

Read from May 13 to 27, 2012

Loved the phrasing and the author's druggie homeless pervo life story more than the catalogue of vivisected women and the facts of various crimes. Descriptions of mucho paperwork and the prose form the life of the author's murdered mother in ellipsis. Read most of it on location in LA and maybe liked it since I'd just been on the same streets and freeways. Read it thanks to Bolano's recommendation in "Between Parentheses" and liked seeing how this one's occasional transition-less lists of crimes clearly influenced 2666's famous catalogue of vivisected women. The crime's unsolved but it's more an obsessive search for someone long lost than an attempt at closure via belated justice. At times the best DeLillo-y clipped and sculpted language ever. But also often surprisingly boring/stolid/mechanically fact-heavy flat, like the famous 300 pages of 2666. Will definitely read a few Ellroy novels this summer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Dark Places.

05/24/2012 page 108
25.0% ""my father was pouring the pork to a zaftig brunette" -- great phrasing throughout, fun to read on vacation now in LA"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Make sure you avoid the books written during his speed period. (You can tell by multiple sentences per line.) For lyrical lurid depravity I like White Jazz.

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee I was thinking about Black Dahlia and LA Confidential -- any good or too speedy?