Brian Ayres's Reviews > Falling Man

Falling Man by Don DeLillo

Jun 08, 07

Read in June, 2007

I would hope this novel is not THE post-9/11 work that is to be produced. With time and space (as DeLillo repeats ad nauseum in this work), there is likely to be a more complete and less schizophrenic look at the events of and after that day.

Until then, DeLillo's latest is worth the emotional ride. It leaves the reader with a perspective those who believed that placing a yellow ribbon on their trees proved they supported and honored those who fell. DeLillo shows, through alternating views, the toll to an estrainged couple who were reunited on that dark day. This is a story of loss, disassociation and collective confusion that many experienced.

The book is a reminder that there are those who will never be able to forget and others never able to move on.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Man.

message 1: by Jill (new) - rated it 1 star

Jill Interested in why you gave this book four stars to accompany that review.

Brian Ayres Probably more out of respect for DeLillo. I see your point that the review may not read like the book deserved four starts. A lot of DeLillo's historical event (Libra, Underworld) books have been written with a enough distance to gain historical perspective. Obviously, we are too close to 9/11 to gain any overarching historical meaning of the event. Instead, DeLillo focused on the human toll from a perspective of someone who went through the tragedy. I think it gives someone like me, who was watching on TV, an idea of the emotional introspection and turmoil of someone who has to live with the memories.

Some of DeLillo's books I have not liked at all and stopped like you did. This one I enjoyed.

message 3: by Jill (new) - rated it 1 star