Seth's Reviews > The Google Story: Inside the Hottest Business, Media, and Technology Success of Our Time

The Google Story by David A. Vise

Jun 20, 11

Read in June, 2011

An enjoyable and quick read. Google fascinates most of us because they always seem to deliver more than we expect from any company. They are refreshingly interested in delivering ALL human knowledge via the net. Everyone on the planet will have access to what was not even available to a Stanford academic a decade ago. While the author giddily journals with praise of the two founders and the company they created, he also uses space to write of the company's unfavorable press as well. Surprisingly, or maybe none of us really are surprised, the bad press seems almost frivolous. Google has produced so much value and imposed so little on its end users that the company has an almost infinite supply of goodwill.

I typically don't read or enjoy biographies. As a matter of fact, I think I can pretty easily determine the character of a person based on the type of fiction and non-fiction that person reads. If the person reads biographies, then, 'sigh... they may be one of those unpoetic types unable to appreciate aesthetics. Worse than biographies are books about companies. Nothing says pragmatic business student as much as a biography about a company. However, the Google story does have value to increasing cultural literacy. As far as that goes, I guess I am as pragmatic as the next guy. Thus, I recommend for the unpoetic and seekers of cultural literacy alike.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Google Story.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Al (new)

Al I've been meaning to read this for a long time.

And yet the notion that Google wants to "offer us ALL knowledge via the internet" should ring some bells. Are we really falling so hard to believe their naive motto " Don't be evil", that we can't see the simple reality - information is power and money, as is proven for once by the Google ads and the way they make their billions. Google has an enormous impact on our world, and therefore I consider such one-sided accounts not really representative of the real issues.