Kevin's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Nov 14, 11

bookshelves: romance, fantasy, contemporary-fantasy, great-cover
Read from October 08 to 09, 2011 — I own a copy

"It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the townsfolk cry 'Monster!' and looked behind him."

This is an excellent urban fantasy revolving around an ancient war and forbidden love. The premise isn't all that original but the story is very well executed, the characters are engaging and the silky smooth prose enhances all these elements and binds them together in an entrancing page turner. The striking cover doesn't hurt either.

The only negative thing I can think of is that, at times, the romance veers a bit to close to sacharine cloyiness for my liking, but still it manages to never actually cross that line. I'm usually not one to seek out romance tales, so the problem here might be more with me than with the book.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone is a great read that should be able to capture both fans of fantasy and (paranormal) romance in its readership.
1 like · likeflag